Vintage '60s soul version of Outkast's "Hey Ya!"

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Good prod values, too. Thanks!

damn she got pipes

1 Like

I want so badly to like this. It’s well arranged, well performed, well produced. But they do the whole song in straight 4/4 time. The magic of Hey Ya is that every sixth measure is 2/4. Why ruin it like that?

3 Likes

Because it would conflict with the style they were transposing it to, similar to what Opus III did with, “Only Love Can Break Your Heart.”

The song isn’t bad, but they definitely need a Cholly Atkins.

How would it conflict with the style? You can still have a subtly swinging sixties soul vibe and drop a couple beats every few measures. See, e.g., “I Say a Little Prayer” performed by both Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin.

Ok - that was awesome. I always wondered how the lyric “shake it like a Polaroid picture” would represent in that style.

This cover is fantastic. I don’t care for the original song, but this version, along with the show makes me almost appreciate the original.

My favorite in this genre has to be the sad clown with the golden voice doing Royals.

2 Likes

I understand this, and I think it’s because the lyrics are sad and the song is upbeat and it doesn’t fit. The Postmodern Jukebox cover has the same problem.

In my opinion, Obadiah Parker does it right:

4 Likes

“Ruin?”

:grin: :ear: :two: :ear:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s really good. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.