Vintage Cray Research champagne glass

was this different from the Cray XMP?

3 Likes

Yeah photobucket is nearing it’s death rattle and they no longer allow free embedding of images on external sites. Which reminds me i have to go in there and back up a bunch of images i no longer have backed up anywhere

The number after – XMP 2/4 or XMP 4/8 – had something to do with how much memory they had. That was so long ago I don’t remember the specifics, but the memory they had was laughably small by today’s standards. Measured in megabytes, not gigabytes!

1 Like

Looks like Qualcomm’s chip is going to be out Real Soon Now, as more details have been released.

Too bad that, as a rule, servers tend to cost a lot of money (unless you pick up cheaper-to-buy but more-expensive-to-power used machines).

http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Cray/Cray.X-MP.1983.102646267.pdf

cray x-mp/24

2 cpus
4 megawords-- or 32 megabytes memory
optional 64 megabyte, 128 megabyte, or 256 megabyte SSD (1250 Megabyte/s channel)

weighs 5.25 tons, requires 400 Hz power. liquid refrigerant cooling

9.5 nsec clock-- 100 Mhz?

and from the first top 500

for machines with twice the memory, (though in this case it might not help)

2 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

I sometimes wonder if something like “megaflops” doesn’t lead to nightmares in PR professionals, or sometimes maybe even failed attempts in self-harm.

No one would come through with this at any of the tech companies, would they?

The point of no return must have been the Intel Pentium. With it’s flopping FPU.

Even though the science/mathematics was hilariously flubbed, Sneakers is a criminally underrated film.

2 Likes
1 Like

At Los Alamos they had a really clever setup. The computer room was huge, of course, but what was even more impressive was the room underneath the computer room, where all the refrigerators were…

2 Likes

Well, yes, you can’t make a decent martini without ice, can you?

2 Likes

True. Well worth watching every now and then for the cast alone.
Although my favaourite shenanigans-with-a-computer film is Hot Millions. Don’t look too close on the computer stuff, but the social engineering is tops.

1 Like

Attention, vintage supercomputer fans! This Cray Research champagne glass is yours for $28.

“It sold for $27.95 less shipping and handling. I don’t appreciate your rounding it up.” (signed: An Angry CRAY Computer)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.