Vintage Japanese landline phone has nice ring

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/28/vintage-japanese-landline-phon.html

5 Likes

A nice ring is an awesome life hack. Feng shui mastery.

8 Likes

That is a nice ring.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Should be easy enough to make a mobile phone ringtone out of it. Anything to make the world a more pleasant place.

9 Likes

My apartment in Kamakura came with phone service and two antique black rotary phones (one upstairs, one downstairs). My landlady apologized for them, but I loved them. They had the ring you hear here and very long cables so I could carry them anywhere in the small apartment. Good memories.

12 Likes

Why have such a pleasant noise when you could have Tom from the Tom and Jerry cartoons screaming?

5 Likes

new-phone

9 Likes

Well, here it is as a file you can use as a ringtone…not a pristine recording, but good enough for my old ears.

If it’s not kosher to share this way, let me know and I’ll remove/change.

7 Likes

So, generalizing a bit here, but it seems to me that Japanese designers focus a lot on the little things that bring small pleasures. Little details that delight and are often very thoughtful solutions to common problems seem to occur at a higher rate in Japanese designed products. Just my observation, though.

Like a ringer is just to get your attention, but why not make it pleasant?

Love this!

7 Likes

I noticed that about life in Japan. Lots of little details and innovations “just because.”

5 Likes

The folks at Western Electric spent a good bit of effort making the bells on American phones sound pleasant, but also somewhat annoying, as an inducement to answer the damn thing instead of just admiring the tone.

4 Likes

Vintage Phone Ringtones

Lots of them.
https://www.beepzoid.com/old-phones/

4 Likes

Nokia’s ring ring sounds like this phone, but connected on a british landline

1 Like

This book has an excellent chapter on synthesizing old telephone bells by way of physical modelling in puredata.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.