Vintage photos of L.A. restaurants that were shaped like the food they served

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/07/vintage-photos-of-l-a-restaur.html

3 Likes

10 Likes

Cool! Looks like an igloo!

3 Likes

They sold ice cream in my home town when I was a kid; pretty sure it is no longer in business.

2 Likes

There is always money in the banana stand.

12 Likes

It was still open (barely) as of a few years ago, but I think you’re right that it’s closed now.

2 Likes

Cool! The ice cream I remember as a kid was sold out of the back of a very rusted VW van. It was called Helados Everest. I’ll see if I can get a picture of it.

1 Like

Oh?

That article is 3 years old; I couldn’t find anything more recent.

I suppose I could always call my fam and just ask…

MABOSmilkbottle_salls
Boston, MA

3 Likes

I guess I should add that Hood is a local dairy… um, distributor, maybe? You can buy dairy products labeled Hood anyhow.

Lots of municipalities these days will not let these kind of buildings be built unfortunately. Then again, that longaberger basket building is a disaster.

2 Likes

The opening sequence of the Steve Martin movie L.A. Story (1991) flew a replica of the Tail of the Pup restaurant over the city in a quirky homage to Federico Fellini’s La Dolce Vita (1960).

5 Likes

This movie has a lot of good weird stuff in it and is fun to re-watch every couple of years.

4 Likes

I remember watching that movie on TV as an exchange student living abroad and being the only one who got any of the gags. As a native of the greater L.A. area it also made me a bit homesick.

3 Likes

As a person who moved to LA in my late 20’s (15yrs ago), this movie made no sense to me until I was an LA resident.

2 Likes

If only it didn’t have the unfortunate ‘Manic Pixie Dream Girl*’ trope in it, yeah; but other than that, it’s a fun flick to watch.

I need to start asking people “RUOK?” again.

*SJP’s character.

1 Like

I want a slo-mo setting for my shower.

I want an omnipotent but benevolent street sign…

2 Likes

Are you kidding? It’s glorious!

3 Likes

lastory-hiya%20(1)

2 Likes