Vinyl goes digital with the Belt Driven Bluetooth Turntable - now 32% off

Found the picture, figured it was good enough.

For the record, I’ve got no problem with this, just making fun of the idea that this product is meant to be an audiophile’s dream. :wink:

1 Like

And certainly not to be confused with these guys!

1 Like

Absolutely. And by ripping to lossless (AIFF, WAV, ALAC, FLAC, etc.) you can get the best possible sound for home while still being able to transcode to compressed formats for mobile uses. But when you start with compressed, there’s nowhere to go but down.

And who even knows what this table rips to? 256? 128? 96? Since the store entry for this item lists no manufacturer, specs only weight and size, and declares “all sales final,” I’ve got to conclude that this is a close-out that even trunk slammers took a pass on. (Could have been acquired from an importer who – literally – bought a boatload of them and then couldn’t sell 'em to retailers. Or maybe a manufacturer who never found a market in the first place. Whatever the source, this is not the turntable you’re looking for.)

1 Like

Grrr. You got me.

Meanwhile, audiophiles ignore that the dynamic range of records is compressed, and limited by things like track pitch. Bass is reduced on recording then expanded back by the phono preamp’s RIAA EQ to, among other things, save space (a standard set back when the RIAA may have actually had some value to the industry…)

Maybe it wasn’t clear in my post: I’m not an audiophile.
Regardless, there remains an analog waveform (however compressed) pressed into the vinyl. That has effectively an infinite sample rate- a point that woo-believing audiophiles harp on endlessly.

Given that I’m not an audiophile, I like records for reasons other than this.

1 Like

Someone had to do it…we can’t let the task always fall on Rob <g>

1 Like
1 Like

CDs can have a dynamic range of 96 dB. IIRC, Various dithering tricks can extend this to 120 dB. However, most (or perhaps all) of the CDs I own don’t take advantage of this. Very often, the CDs with above average dynamic range sound better than the CDs with compressed dynamic range.

There are, however, some CDs with almost no dynamic range. It is thought by some that it is difficult or even impossible to encode LPs with this sort of compression-- so the manufacturer falls back on a master that actually sounds decent-- though less loud --than the CD.

Or if you use the dynamic range database a good recording on CD is a 15-16; a vinyl record is about a 10; but a badly mastered CD can be a 5. If buying an album on LP means that you can get your “10”, instead of suffering with a “5”, messing about with a decent turntable may be worth it.

1 Like

A while ago I was looking for my various KLF CDs & vinyl. All seem to have been lost over the years.

That’s why I said “audiophiles” and not “@nothingfuture”. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.