Virtual reality is effective training for lucid dreaming, according to scientific study

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/15/virtual-reality-is-effective-training-for-lucid-dreaming-according-to-scientific-study.html

1 Like

So is listening to Queensryche.

3 Likes

Me and a couple friends all share one recurring dream that involves record collecting-- we come upon some crazy stash of rare vinyl in some shop, typically with covers we’ve never seen before, and before we can get up to the register we lose them somehow, maybe spend the rest of the dream feverishly running around the store looking for them.

This dream has happened to me with such regularity that now I know it’s a dream when it happens and can turn it into a lucid dream. (Although usually I’m just pissed off it’s “that damned dream again” and I just wake up.)

6 Likes

Lucid dreaming changed my waking life.
Seems like children’s imaginative play is like a virtual reality simulator where they exercise trial and error.
In terms of technological aids for inducing the lucid dream state, just take a b6 vitamin or an omega 3 and you’re laughing…
Mindfulness practices and mnemonics prime the mind for lucidity, but I worry that virtual reality head sets are to lucid dreaming what calculators are to mental math.

3 Likes

Does this also suggests that VR is a potential cognitive treatment to help folks with these disorders? I could imagine unrefined experiments in this regard being pretty scary and potentially harmful. Is there already research into this that anyone knows about?

4 Likes

If you are looking for a good surrealistic piece to practice this check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/497450/Blortasia/

I wondered if this might be true some time ago. Cool!

1 Like

Lucid dreaming is an awesome skill to have. I taught myself to do it in my 20s after reading an article in our campus paper about it. The method that worked for me is double-checking text. Written words are unstable in dreams, so if you’re in a hotel, double check door numbers. Same with street signs, etc. In a dream text will always be different every time you look at it. This basic reality test is easy to develop a habit for and it works well. Another one that works for a lot of people is jumping any time you’re alone, because you won’t come back down in a dream. That one is a little harder to do habitually. :grinning:

I’ve mostly lost the skill as I’ve gotten older, but I’m an example of how this is something anyone can learn to do.

The amount of control you have in the dream varies a bit. You’re not fully engaged cognitively (otherwise you’d be awake) so it’s sort of a battle to keep the narrative going that you want.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.