Vladimir Putin takes the gloves off

Which you are putting forward as inherently anti-left and pro-corporate. I disagree with the “inherently” part. The “inherent” root of corporate propaganda is about preserving market power at the expense of the human needs and (democratic) concerns of others. Focus on the market power and less on your vague “sniff test”. You are practicing here a kind of surfacey tribalism. The site you wish was boingboing would be a pretty sterile place with ideological tests overriding pretty much any other criteria for submissions. It would be fucking tiny and irrelevant.

In which case I am tempted to suggest you trolley Slashdot or Reddit, which have become the sort of techie version of the The Blaze which you seem to want to attack. But you aren’t in those places at this moment for a reason, which is that this community isn’t full of libretardant children who bury threads in walls of text and vitriol and derailing, etc. We get close to it on occasions which aren’t consumed by The Draggon, but only from self-declared trollies like @TrollsOpinion who are very careful about walking right down the community boundary. There’s a line drawn in the community’s tolerance for such tactics. It seems to work okay generally and in TO’s case there’s some tolerance due to honesty and relative politeness or double-secret-recursive-driving trollies or whatever which seems to be entertaining to the powers above.

But I would point you toward the heavy ratio of submissions about corporate power in markets, government, and society, and say, flat out, that you are wrong about the “defensive and avoidant cultural posture”. @doctorow has been flogging his free-for-download-eventually book on a subset of these issues for months. And you know what the community gets? A steady trickle of concern driving trollies from outsiders nitpicking every single one of these submissions. And now you’re concern-driving trollies from the other direction, attempting to smear the site as a whole rather than just trying to split up the crew that runs it.

What you will find out is that BBS is not your monkey.

and for the @craigyferg fans, we like it just fine in Germany, even with the new Austrian accent I’ve received from my loving Germa… ah, Cherman family, and zhe marching up and down and things. Herr Bieber, du bist ein schnickelkopf.

3 Likes