Vogue's 21st Century Man (1939)

He looks like he belongs to a world built more directly from Tesla’s visions…

The future was much cooler in the past…

7 Likes

Y’all think that’s a cool look now, but wait until you’re wearing it and you have to sit on the toilet.

1 Like

So…wardrobe malfunctions were treated like production values?

1 Like

…Toilet? What do you think that little chest canister is for?

2 Likes

Indeed! Look at all that high-voltage stuff all around that guy. I look around me, nary a dozen volts in my vicinity.
Insulators were the old timey equivalent of today’s minimalist holo-soaked future. And lightning! Lightning in every room!
Everything used to throw off sparks and lightning in the olden days’ future.

Which reminds me of the utterly fantastic old Superman cartoons. I loved those when I was a kid. (and they were old even then!)

If you haven’t gotten around to writing this by the time I get my own indie theatre group, I may pilfer this idea from you. :laughing:

[quote=“Nell_Anvoid, post:18, topic:80970, full:true”]
Flying cars? NOPE!
Personal jetpacks? …NOPE!
Vacations on the Moon or Mars?..NO![/quote]

Flying cars and personal jetpacks: have you seen people drive?

Space-cations: We’re getting there. Sort of. If your definition of “we” includes the super rich. :laughing:

2 Likes

They got the hammer pants right.

Excelsior!

Apparently people in the future have weirdly long legs too.

Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted. - Krysta Now

#ALL HAIL ZOD!!!

1 Like

Where’s my pantaloons? We were promised pantaloons.

1 Like

There is a book series “These Are The Voyages” about the production history of Star Trek TOS which actually goes into some detail on that subject. Short answer, Yes! Glorious Yes!

The part of the book that made my ears perk up was the trouble they went through to apply green skin makeup to Yvonne Craig (TV’s Batgirl). Evidently they forgot how to do it from the pilot episode. The process eventually involved the makeup man violating union rules to apply the makeup to Ms. Craig in the nude (only female makeup artists were allowed to do this). Oh the labors and difficulties of showbiz! :yum:

Btw her costume was held up by sheer force of will!

3 Likes

Yeah, never mind flying cars, where’s my Disco Utlity Suit, dammit?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.