Vogue's 21st Century Man (1939)

[Read the post]

1 Like

It’s always interesting to see in retrospect how every generation’s ideas about the future reflect their ideas about the present, even if it is just in regard to something like fashion.

Apparently Gene Roddenberry’s costumer thought the go go dress would transition from ridiculous to uniform over the course of hundreds of years.

4 Likes

They got the antenna part kind of right if you consider bluetooth ear pieces.

7 Likes

Looks comfy!

1 Like

Looks like the lost member of Spinal Tap.

1 Like

Pretty much spot on!

3 Likes

So basically the 21st Century Man is starring in a community theater production of Camelot.

10 Likes

Robert Goulet “If Ever I Would Leave You” as Sir Lancelot - YouTube
Video for camelot goulet
:arrow_forward: 2:24

Jul 11, 2012 - Uploaded by ROBERT GOULET THE MAN AND HIS LEGACY
Robert Goulet “If Ever I Would Leave You” as Sir Lancelot. … dad worked for Pan Am) was listening to …

2 Likes

Candies for cuties!

3 Likes

Some of the ideas are correct, although the execution is off.

Brilliant photograph.

2 Likes

Looks like a costume for the spring production of Much Ado About Artisanal Mayonnaise.

9 Likes

You know… I’d totally love to go around like this (minus the antenna-hat), if people wouldn’t laugh at me.
This look cool, and I’m disappointed by our non-futuristic future.

7 Likes

Uncanny, I wore something like that last week.

2 Likes

Ohhhh, swish!

2 Likes

Wait, what year did they start making 'Cuties?'
Could be some Nostradamus type shit right there.

1 Like

I can’t imagine that antenna hat is picking up anything useful with all of those obviously EMI-generating devices he’s surrounded himself with.

Or cell phones in general.

1 Like

Flying cars? NOPE!
Personal jetpacks? …NOPE!
Vacations on the Moon or Mars?..NO!

…cool “Vogue 21st Century Man” look? …Nooooo…!

The future has turned out to be so disappointing.

4 Likes

Real story being that William Ware Theiss, the costumer, was a raving letch who wanted men and boys to be drooling like St. Bernards

Theiss theory of titilation: “the degree to which a costume is considered sexy is directly proportional to how accident-prone it appears to be”"

1 Like

Great photo, makes me think “Julian Barratt/Mighty Boosh outtake” for some reason…

1 Like