Voight-Kampff Empathy Test, 2015 edition

But technically the replicant isn’t alive… it’s a biorobotic android. Also I’m pretty sure Elon Musk is currently gathering a team of Avengers to fight them.

this post and it’s doppelganger and both bylines have been reported ( allegedly , albeit not by me !! ) to the star trek universe time police , and to the time lord complaint association , and to percival dunwoody , and likely to other authorities as well , all of whom , i am given to understand , are close , personal , and convivial pals of falcor ~ sooo , nevermind !! turtles , whatever one calls them , allllll the way dowwwwwn ~

1 Like

You know what a turtle is? Same thing.

1 Like

Heretic!

I calls 'em as I sees 'em. While I do have a certain fondness for the original, that narration kinda bugs me. And the director’s cut was allllmost there, but not quite.

1 Like

How so? Which one’s better, then? The workprint?

1 Like

Holy crap.

Last night my daughters boyfriend showed Bladerunner to her for the first time. She fell asleep in half an hour, to his frustration.
We sat there, boyfriend and weird old nerdy girlfriends dad, watching together.

9 Likes

I like the Director’s Cut.

I’m not keen on the unicorn dream, with its twist-ending suggestion that Deckard is also a replicant. I liked my original interpretation of Deckard as a dehumanised human who finds his humanity again by not killing Roy and saving Rachel.

But saying that, the narration and the out-takes from The Shining tacked on the end completely fuck up the original. So I guess I like whichever version it was that appeared after the first theatrical release that first took those out.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who though the one-panel preview was the whole thing? And then though the unintentional one-panel version was stronger than the full one?

No? You guys need to work on that empathy.

1 Like

If memory serves, isn’t the Blade Runner universe a future where there has been substantial ecological upheaval and assorted extinctions, with some organisms existing primarily as engineered copies, if at all?

In that context, especially if you are questioning an urbanite with no particular interest in biology, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise to see minimal knowledge of the details of animal classification.

Plus, of course, “It’s completely hypothetical.”

2 Likes

Not all replicants!

1 Like

I always thought that Leon didn’t understand the test and, therefore, was panicking because he was convinced that he was going to fail.

5 Likes

Having no implanted memories, Leon is aware that he is a replicant, is likely familiar with the Voight-Kampff test and certainly with Blade Runners so is probably playing dumb/obstinate in order to try and throw off the results of the test. But he does seem to panic when he realises that because he has no memories of a mother he is going to fail, be discovered and then retired.

Perhaps his personnel file used as cover to get his job states he was not an orphan?

Didn’t like the colour correction in the Final Cut?

They seemed to fix all the niggling issues (from the DC), including Ben-Hassan’s mouth not matching his spoken lines and Zhora not looking like Zhora when crashing through the plate glass… Everything else is pretty much the same, I seem to remember that even the crazy dropped-frame cut when Leon slaps Deckard’s gun away is still in there. I guess it was intentional?

3 Likes

I didn’t reference “Blade Runner”, but I suppose so…

Oh, I agree that he was aware of the V-K test and realized he was taking one. I just suspect that his playing dumb was because he genuinely didn’t understand what to feel about the tortoise and was trying to stall for time to figure it out. I think the panic first started (under the surface) then and fully emerged once he told us about his mother.

2 Likes

It occurs to me that arguing over the exact status of his mother in a similar fashion to the way he makes a fuss about the tortoise would have been an appropriately human thing to do if he had, in fact, gone with the ‘orphan’ approach.

L: I don’t have any memories of my mother, I’m an orphan.

H: Well then imagine that you had a mother, what do you think you would remember about her?

L: Well, of course I had a mother, I was born wasn’t I?

Etc.

But he chose to use this stalling approach to the tortoise without intuiting that such behaviour concerning family might have made him seem more human… reminiscent of the whole inhuman animal/replicant motif in the film.

Maybe?

I should watch Ghost in the Shell 2 again…

2 Likes

There was some of that too, but it always seemed to me like Leon felt especially bothered by that question; keeping in the spirit that the replicants are “more human than human”. In this case, more empathetic than the real humans surrounding them.

I like the idea, but in the movie they (not counting Rachael) don’t come off as very empathetic. Batty seems to have some empathy, he mourns Pris (but is that just self pity?), he saves Deckard (perhaps he just wanted someone to show off that final monologue too?). Considering they’re being hunted, I don’t blame them for not being overtly sympathetic. I’m just not certain how much humanity to credit them with.

I’d probably give them more credit if they hadn’t iced J.F.Sebastian.

2 Likes