Volunteer Wisdom

At the request of @rkt88edmo, a thread for talking about working with other people who share the same passions.

Share wisdom regarding:

• teamwork
  • morale
  • esprit de corps
  • coaching
  • cajoling
  • fundraising
  • recruitment
  • community development
  • community management
  • community governance

and all asundry skills needed to create, maintain, and grow cultural centers that would not otherwise exist without people who volunteer their passion to support creation.

5 Likes

Extrinsic rewards sap motivation.

Fostering an environment that encourages intrinsic motivation is the go.

5 Likes

Before you try to start a volunteer organization, check and make sure there isn’t already one extant that is trying to reach the same goals.

A good place to start is with the local Unitarian Universalist churches; they will typically have Social Action committees, and the people on those committees will usually have a good idea of what’s going on, volunteer-wise, in their geographic area.

5 Likes

Gonna jump back into this today. I thought there was already a running discussion of the sort, but what had crossed my mind from the flotsam in the stream I saw was this:

When artists died - they granted their collections to their foundations, libraries, and museums.
As the long tail continues to grow and micro-creators increase the volume of overall outpout, are those 3 existing repositories equipped for and desirous of the task?

Is there a simple public good foundation that anyone can use as a default for dropping off the rights to their works to ensure that those works remain free and available to the public and that they do not become “orphaned works”? Somewhere that has an open source/open culture/preservation without rampant monetization ethos.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 138 days. New replies are no longer allowed.