Voter suppression act two: closing driver's license offices in Alabama's Black Belt

There are some numbers in this article:

Assuming that data to be correct, the beneficial side effect of voter ID laws is that many of the impediments to getting an ID have been removed, made free, or made easier - such as getting free birth certificates if you are applying for voter ID in the state of your birth. So this makes it easier for people to get jobs, get benefits, etc:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/id/html/why/why.shtml

1 Like

As you did not seem to read the post:
Just wondering if there’s any proof that those offices were shut down because of where they were.
Your non-answer was not very helpful.

1 Like

I still have (somewhere) my Arizona non-driver’s driving licence, which I had to get to be able to drink in Phoenix as a British passport apparently wasn’t valid ID.

The Tea Party reference (that also used to be in the BB post’s title) is a complete non-sequitur.

Can we talk about why that is some fucked up bullshit?

I’ll grant you the potential penalty is huge, but who is going to find out? The last time I voted all they asked for was my name and address. I could easily pull county tax information from the internet and have that. And there you go I just voted for whoever I wanted to. Obviously I wouldn’t try and vote multiple times in the same precinct, but it wouldn’t be hard to cast an extra 10 votes in whatever direction you wanted.

And I’m not saying voter fraud is destroying the GOP or whatever…I’m saying it isn’t complicated to do. Here BB makes a huge deal out of ECU software that can be hacked via a physical connection, when the odds of that happening are probably smaller than voter fraud. It doesn’t have to be a photo ID, hell how about asking for your SSN or something harder to find than a home address.

1 Like

What are they producing? Government offices don’t have to be profitable in order to be necessary and justified. It’s not like DMVs are ever economically productive.

Do you mean “non-productive” as in, nobody comes in and gets licenses? Because I doubt that’s the case. They’re choosing to shut down those driving test services and apparently also cutting the DMV’s budget by the same amount those driving test services cost. They aren’t planning on improving the availability.

So… You don’t have a drivers license but need one, just to get around, and now the DMV down the street no longer offers the test. The nearest office that does offer the test is suddenly 30 odd miles away, and is only open during business hours on weekdays, the same time as when you work your minimum wage job with no hopes of getting even a single day off without risking getting immediately fired.

The State, whether or not it’s intentional is making life shittier for people in the lower income demographics, and the history of the State points all ten fingers at “keeping niggers out of the polls.”

13 Likes

Making it harder to drive often is the exact same thing as making it harder to vote though. Especially if you live out in the sticks and need to go 20-30 miles just to get to your polling place.

5 Likes

That’s why there are so many election judges and other volunteers there. You’re not going to be able to go back 10 times and have someone not recognize that you’ve already been there. Also, your signature has to match the signature they have in their books, which is filed with your name. And what if you pick a name of someone who voted earlier in the day?

To say nothing of the fact that even in a major city, I’ve never not known at least a few people at my polling place by name. The likelihood that you could show up to a rural polling place and not be recognized strains the imagination.

5 Likes

Like I said, the last time I voted there was no verification of anything to show I was who I said I was other than me giving my name and address verbally to the person working there. Ironically I’ve never known any of the people working at a polling place. They are usually held at a local school or church and since I don’t have a need to go to either then why would someone know who I am? Besides if I drove across town to a different polling location that would make the likely hood of someone knowing me even slimmer.

On the aspect of someone that has already voted, yes that is a possibility and would just be an inherent risk of committing fraud. I never said it was foolproof, just that there were very few steps taken to verify who people really are.

The people involved in the polling are not necessarily those who regularly frequent the school or church. They’re just local community members.

2 Likes

A simple solution to this is what many states have done. Allow mail-in ballots for any reason.

4 Likes

Hold on a minute. Do some basic math. 8/15 = 53% and 22/52=42%, and now add in racial makeup of those counties. The closures are disproportionately affecting minorities.

3 Likes

How do you vote out of precinct? Your name wouldn’t even be on the roster. Or are you saying there’s an army of people who 1) figure out the names and addresses of registered voters all over town, 2) dispatch people to sub in for those voters at their various precincts, and 3) dispatch a second group of people to keep the real voters from being able to enter their assigned polling place for the entire day?

What state are you in? It sounds so strange to me, that you wouldn’t need to sign or anything. I can’t remember the last time I had to show my voter registration card, it’s true, but I’ve had the opposite problem from you many times: showing up where I was supposed to be and NOT being able to vote because they didn’t have the documentation to verify I was supposed to be there. I wouldn’t be able to go to a different precinct and sign in there, though…in one case, I ended up having to do the conditional ballot that is hand checked at a central location to make sure I hadn’t voted somewhere else first.

2 Likes

Republican legislators have not even attempted to hide their contempt for the democratic process. In true Machiavellian fashion, they have displayed a willingness to take an ideological dump on the fundamental principles of our democracy in order to further their political agenda.

Since Republicans cannot count on the votes from key demographic sectors of the electorate, they have opted for a different approach – reduce the number of these citizens who are able to vote.

And so they have strategized (and to some extent, implemented) a multi-pronged effort to curtail the ability of minority, student, and elderly voters to participate in the election process:

1. Make it more difficult to “prove” your citizenship via voter ID legislation, fully aware that the elderly, out-of-state college students, and socio-economically disenfranchised citizens will have a much more difficult time providing the narrowly-defined necessary documentation to verify their right to vote. Some states have also brazenly eliminated state ID-issuing offices in predominantly minority-occupied districts.
  • unlike voting, buying beer or boarding a commercial airliner are not fundamental American rights.
  1. Cull the registration database for names deemed to “probably” be fictitious or otherwise fraudulent. (Anyone whose surname ends in “-ez” is most certainly an invalid registrant …)

2. Eliminate or drastically reduce early voting and/or reduce the number of election precincts., since student, poor, and elderly voters tend to have a more difficult time getting to the polls on the first Tuesday of November, and urban precincts are more likely to have extremely long lines that require you to stand for hours in line.

3. Create modern equivalents of the poll tax (part of the old Jim Crow laws) wherein selected demographic groups must incur out-of-pocket expenses to retain the right to vote.

4. Use gerrymandering policies to redistrict red states so that predominantly white rural regions that represent a minority of the populace attain the majority of the voting power.

With respect to the voter ID legislation/registered voter purges that have been pushed forth by Republican-controlled state legislatures under the guise of reducing nonexistent “voter fraud”, GOP legislators should simply cut to the chase and proclaim that the only Americans who have a legitimate right to vote are those who are registered members of the Republican Party.

4 Likes

Well, it’s complicated enough that the bozo who keeps trying to make all those “gotcha” videos couldn’t pull it off. The number of cases of people actually attempting is down into the literal one in a million.

As for the more common fixing of voting machines? Nary a peep.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, now all we need to do is get that information into the hands of people that may not even have an internet connection, past those who wish to suppress that constituency.

2 Likes

If policies are so bad the legislature is unable to retain essential services (such as driver’s licensing) in a normally populated community, then there’s obviously a pot that needs to be stirred.

More than just racism is obviously at play here. There is a political party which desires to retain control. So they gerrymander. If that’s not enough, they institute Voter ID laws. If that’s not enough, then they close licensing and ID -issuing authorities in critical communities. The course seems pretty clear.

I think it goes beyond merely being polite to suggest that this represents a complete failure of policy.

[Edited for spelling.]

2 Likes

And there is the problem, right there.

1 Like

Oh, concerned citizen, who I’m sure is a race realist, so concerned with those race hustlers who are taking over this country you love oh so much, please tell us how racism doesn’t really exist, despite all the evidence to the contrary for people in America who are black and are disproportionately impacted by events such as this…

Just a fucking coincidence, I’m sure.

2 Likes