Voyager 2 is back up and running!

11 Likes

So they basically asked it to do a barrel roll… and it worked!

4 Likes

Those vessels had people on board, so in fact continuous maintenance. And HMS Victory was designed by a Royal Navy architect and built at a Navy dockyard, not by an 18th century Elon Musk.

The Voyagers were/are a remarkable achievement

6 Likes

So, uh…inverted?! :fu:

5 Likes

overdrew power and tripped

And I’m tripping.

9 Likes

(Looks it up)
Wow, they did! I’d figured it was TRW or some such. (TRW did build Pioneer…)

3 Likes

At your age, you should be careful about those barrel rolls.

2 Likes

True - but they were taken into the shop occasionally. :wink:

2 Likes

Actually, turning it off and on again is considered preventive maintenance for interplanetary spacecraft. It is done to every martian lander a few days before arriving to Mars, just to make sure that the spacecraft computer is in a clean and well understood state before it has to perform the critical descent and landing tasks.

10 Likes

I know the “computer” on board is basically three vacuum tubes and a string of Christmas tree lights, but I still say NASA should task some of its processing power to contributing to SETI@Home.

6 Likes

Yay. I’m just a little older than Voyager 2, and it nice to that we both continue to function - for the most part.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure this happened because the guy that had been keeping it running woke up from his nap.

IgnorantFrighteningIridescentshark-size_restricted

8 Likes

chuck berry

12 Likes
8 Likes

2 Likes

I’m younger, but I feel more like Beagle 2.

5 Likes

Hey, as long as we don’t pull a Mars Climate Orbiter, we are doing good! The Beagle 2 is still in one piece!

2 Likes

Not necessarily. And I speak from experience.

2 Likes
1 Like