Vtech covered up a leak of data on 6.3m children and their families, then tried to force us not to sue - the FTC just fined them $0.09/kid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/08/normalizing-surveillance-2.html

2 Likes

TLDR - If you buy your kids smart devices they will leak data all over the place.

3 Likes

So some bank in South Dakota is going to offer my kid a credit card?

2 Likes

regrettably…rule 34…

FTC being toothless as usual. That’s like taking ten bucks from me at the end of the year, and saying, “Don’t make tens of thousands of dollars that way or we might take 10 dollars away again.”

VTEC

Revenue: 1.899 billion USD (2014)
Net income: 203.3 million USD (2014)

2 Likes

Leaking is pretty much what kids do best.

2 Likes

9 cents is what your child is worth?

A couple points. The 6.3m is worldwide, so they were fined ~$0.20 per U.S. child.
Canada fined them $0 because “The investigation identified a number of significant security shortcomings,” but “The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada is satisfied that these measures are sufficient and will reduce the risk of a future breach.”
My favorite line from the FTC statement is “In addition to the monetary settlement, VTech is permanently prohibited from violating COPPA in the future.” And I’m sure they mean it this time

3 Likes

1/9: VTech announces across the board 9¢ price hike

4 Likes

I have already computed the charge of nursing a beggar’s child (in which list I reckon all cottagers, laborers, and four-fifths of the farmers) to be about two shillings per annum, rags included; and I believe no gentleman would repine to give ten shillings for the carcass of a good fat child, which, as I have said, will make four dishes of excellent nutritive meat, when he hath only some particular friend or his own family to dine with him. Thus the squire will learn to be a good landlord, and grow popular among his tenants; the mother will have eight shillings net profit, and be fit for work till she produces another child.

3 Likes

“ten shillings for the carcass of a good fat child.”

Only ten schillings? For the carcass of a good, fat child? I daresay good sir, you are wont to see the good deeds of your soul.

I’m glad this is the same group that will soon be protecting the internet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.