W.H.O. declares Wuhan coronavirus global emergency

You eat at food trucks?

7 Likes

A global demise clock ticking off hours per death would be helpful.

Too soon?

1 Like

I have an inside on who’s who in the food industry for San Diego, I do take a chance on TJ street tacos, when I’m feeling lucky…

1 Like

I’m not worried. Secretary Wilbur Ross said that the Wuhan coronavirus will be a good thing because it’ll bring jobs back to the US. What could possibly go wrong?

4 Likes

Failing that, ensure their internal temperature reaches at least 165F/74C before serving.

2 Likes

The WHO is a NGO. How do I claim my pedant pennant?

2 Likes
6 Likes

Yeah, this media promulgation of regional names for infectious diseases needs to stop yesterday. Not only does it promote bigotry but it obfuscates inextricably effective measures both for containment and treatment. Ignorance kills.

6 Likes

To the best of my understanding that award isn’t meant to be an honor.

5 Likes

Example:

5 Likes

Honestly? It’s not much of a superbug.

It’s new, it’s nasty… but it’s hardly biowarfare level effective. Hell, so far it’s less terrifying than the yearly flu, let alone something like the 1918 H1N1.

(Fun fact: though we call 1918’s “Spanish Flu”, it didn’t actually originate in Spain. Spain was simply the first country to act responsibly and admit that there was a problem, while every other country denied it and said that they didn’t have a problem, even as people kept dying).

6 Likes

Driving somewhere everyday.

2 Likes

Indeed. The Spanish Flu is thought to have originated in North America if memory serves.

2 Likes

Reminder that this is a good opportunity to patronize your local asian-owned or stereotypically asian businesses (like asian-food restaurants), who, if SARS was any indication, are likely to experience a precipitous drop-off in business.

7 Likes

It actually originated in China and was as a result of both sides employing Chinese labourers to dig the trenches in WW1. The repatriated soldiers became the perfect vectors for a global epidemic.

1 Like

Especially if people fall for the opportunistic narrative of the anti-science racist xenophobes on the Far Right…

5 Likes

I’m going to visit Chinatown without a mask. I’m looking for an aquarium. The East Coast is safe so far.

2 Likes

Well actually, it’s a pendant.

7 Likes

First showed up in large numbers on a military base in (Kansas?) the midwest anyway.

2 Likes
7 Likes