Waaaah! I've got my daily limit on likes! [post your own]

I’m trying!!! :innocent:

I think likes should work more like Whuffie.

3 Likes

I honestly believe that different people use them differently. There’s a thread somewhere in which people are talking about their strategies to get their numbers up WRT likes:posts, and apparently the goal is to receive twice as many likes as posts written. My ratio has always been exactly the opposite: I like twice as many posts as I write. Could this be a learned response, after decades of being ignored/interrupted in classes and meetings? I don’t know, and with regard to posting on a forum in 2016 I don’t really care. All that matters is the end result: I post fewer responses than my reading and liking would suggest. Basically, I quietly support more than I argue. That’s how I am in real life, too.

People who can carry on a lively and non-destructive argument IRL are wonderful to listen to. I’m just not the sort of person to jump in like that, most of the time.

8 Likes

I have no strategies… I just kind of like what I like, I guess.

I want to like this, I really do…

6 Likes

I’m a brass tacks kind of person. Likes are nice. Who doesn’t want allies? But replies are the real reward. Engage me in a dialectic and I’m yours. Likes are akin to a pat on the back, totally awesome, but steady state. Replies mean I get a chance to know the replier. It’s akin to the difference between a considerate gift and a personalize gift. Every reply is a personalized gift. High five or flame me, it means someone took the valuable time out of their day to think of something to say back. That’s really cool.

Vice versa, I enjoy patting my BB friends on the back. But when I can think of something I hope can be useful or helpful in reply to one of you, that’s a far more contributive feeling, the sense of giving something back.

ETA: There are on the order of a dozen BB regulars that I’d invite unhesitatingly into our home for dinner. You and Mindy are, of course, among those. Likes between you and I are great, but it’s the engagement with you that makes you part of my community, not a button.

6 Likes

Totally. We’re not from different planets, and we’d definitely enjoy conversation in person, but our online styles differ.

One of the big advantages of this site is that it attracts interesting and knowledgeable people from all over the world. The biggest disadvantage of that is there are few cities with enough posters to meet together for drinks/dinner.

7 Likes

Know what’s even better than a reply? Anonymous internet rumchata :D. Yeah, I take candy from strangers, I live on the edge.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Don’t invite @japhroaig - he’ll go on and on about that one time he prepared the same dish only with figonnaise*, then launch into a rousing, high-kicking tin-whistle extravaganza. Whilst traditionally wearing a kilt.

* which is exactly what it sounds like.

10 Likes

Well… Yes. Isn’t that appropriate?

6 Likes

I hate to harp on this, but when is the higher like limit going into effect? I ran out yesterday afternoon, and again first thing this morning. (I swear: I have a life! Yesterday was particularly packed, in fact.)

4 Likes

I have been working more and BB-OCDing less, but managed to hit this today, so maybe I’m working less than I thought…

2 Likes

Haven’t been here since last night. Liked 2 posts, and now I’m on time out like a toddler. A-fucking-gain.

4 Likes

I believe @eviltrout added this dialog?

Not quite deployed here yet but soon. Hopefully that will reduce the “Peanuts Football Kick Gag” feeling when you go from having likes to suddenly having ZERO likes with no warning.

4 Likes

2 Likes

As I said above, not quite deployed here yet. But soon.

2 Likes

I am just having fun as it was a well timed post by you is all. :smile_cat:

6 Likes

@codinghorror:

I ran into a case the other day where I hit my limit of edits. This probably doesn’t happen often. I’m wondering though if the limit is the same for all trust levels.

Some of us “regulars” seem to be the sorts that like to index posts, clean up those indexes, fiddle with delimiters, etc. I know going back and editing a bunch of posts in a single thread could be viewed as questionable behavior. Nonetheless, there are reasons to do it. Can I petition to get edits per day increased for regulars?

3 Likes

OK this is deployed now, for sure. So you should get warned when you are low on likes rather than

@tropo I dunno just for editing your own old posts? A bit OCD, innit?

8 Likes

It was a request from @OtherMichael to add titles / artists in a music thread, so I basically ran out of edits 2 days in a row. Probably an edge case, but it was a bit frustrating.

4 Likes

I’ve seen it now. Nice friendly message, thanks!

3 Likes