Wait, whaaaaaat? Shake Shack and Fly by Jin are creating a chili-crisp forward menu?

Originally published at: Wait, whaaaaaat? Shake Shack and Fly by Jin are creating a chili-crisp forward menu? | Boing Boing

2 Likes
2 Likes

Chili-crisp is pretty good on ice cream too.

1 Like

paging @ClutchLinkey
isn’t this the stuff you taught us how to make?! love it!

1 Like

I have acid reflux, so this is too much for me. Anyone want mine?

2 Likes

I bought a couple bottles of the Lao Gan Ma variety and a couple of the Fly By Jin when this fad started taking off and while they’re good the price is just too much to make it a staple. As far as spicy additives go, good ol’ Frank’s will probably always be my ‘put it on everything’ go to.

Well, now I just feel bad for Sriracha. You had a good run, buddy. I hope you kept up with your taxes and diversified your investments.

2 Likes

this sounds like it would be WRONG WRONG WRONG and it is instead RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT. I just tried it last night. Traditional lao gan ma-brand spicy chili crisp, on vanilla bean ice cream. Delicious.

The MSG umami is perfect with the creamy ice cream; the saltiness is just like salty caramel etc; the spiciness is just this nice little add on. It was actually delicious. If you have these items in your kitchen right now, go try it, it’s not some internet troll joke. I think it would also go good with chocolate, as spicy chocolate is also a thing that is nice. I can also see it going well on fruit sherbet - it might clobber the flavor of regular strawberry icecream and sorbet doesn’t have any fat or protein for the umami to intensify.

For that matter, it would also be probably great on crunchy, juicy fruits like watermelon, asian pear, etc.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.