Walgreens won't sell abortion pills in "Red" states, even where it is legal

Originally published at: Walgreens won't sell abortion pills in "Red" states, even where it is legal | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Corporate “persons” (my friends) were once described in a documentary on them as psychopaths. Like many psychopaths, they often turn out to be sniveling cowards when they run into what they recognise as an even bigger psychopath – in this case the Republican Party.

26 Likes

They’re not psychopaths. They’re just not people, regardless of what SCOTUS said. They’re unfeeling, uncaring machines which exist mostly for the purpose of generating short term revenue for shareholders. Expecting them to make ethical or moral decisions is pointless. That’s why we need regulations. Expect more of this until abortion rights are restored nationwide.

28 Likes

I’m still taking my business to whatever social construct is less of an asshole on the topic.

14 Likes

Totally get it and don’t disagree. I’m just saying, this is capitalism the way it’s going to operate, not psychopathy.

8 Likes

How about this? Some corporate decisions are made by psychopaths.

3 Likes

I suppose if customers react by taking their business elsewhere (if possible, when they’re not the only game in town), they’ll whine about cancel culture.

7 Likes

Sadly, in many cases when the CEOs are not psychopaths, if said non-psychopathy causes short term profits to droop, they are removed in short order and replaced with psychopaths who will maximize shareholder value.

So, yes – individuals can still be more or less moral/ethical. But the system remains fundamentally amoral and tends to act in a psychopathic manner.

18 Likes

6 Likes

Eh…sure, but you don’t need a psychopath at the helm to explain this decision. You just need a corporate accountant that does the math on the cost of lawsuits, potential lost revenue, etc. versus the potential financial gains from selling this medicine and being recognized as pro-choice. I’m guessing that calculation weighs very heavily in favor of what Walgreens is doing here.

9 Likes

This is what I was trying to say. Thank you for phrasing it better.

6 Likes

I think there is also some concern about liability and physical risk as well. When the right starts to think of Walgreens as “an abortion clinic” violence follows soon after.

12 Likes

Absolutely. I wasn’t trying to provide an exhaustive list of their accounting.

5 Likes

This is what a psychopath would say.

1 Like

If you’re joking, then haha. If you’re serious…please. I’m not defending Walgreens. I’m saying unregulated capitalism and the conservative ideology that overturned Roe is to blame, not psychopathy. We don’t need mental illness to explain this.

11 Likes

I am kinda joking?

I’m not really saying you’re psychopathic, and that was a joke - but this kind of decision making is (imho) the problem and I think psychopathy explains it quite well. Anytime money is the reason to do a harmful thing, that’s bad.

2 Likes

I guess fairly soon there will be a Red drugstore and a Blue drugstore.

7 Likes

Self over others without care. How is that not psychopathy? Just because it’s numbers?

2 Likes

I’m just trying to take the focus off individual behavior, even individual corporate behavior, and put it where it belongs: on the system. The system is irreparably broken, and we need to replace it. Calling corporations people and psychopaths may feel cathartic, but it doesn’t get us there.

11 Likes

As if there aren’t enough reasons already to ditch Walgreens from one’s life.

Efff that corporate behavior. Garbage store for garbage people.

16 Likes