Walmart heiress donated $378,400 to Hillary Clinton campaign and PACs

[Read the post]

::coughcough:: BULLSHIT ::coughcough::

7 Likes

The “Victory Fund” is a general fund raising tool for the Democrats this election year. The large contributions made to it are spread across 33 states (?) and several other groups for funding local Democratic campaigns. Little of this cash goes directly to Hillary Clinton’s campaign fund.

This is Clinton working for the Democratic party, unlike other candidates who are looking to sponge off the party.

2 Likes

Several campaign finance attorneys said the fund’s early investments in small-donor recruitment for Clinton were unusual, noting that a joint fundraising committee’s resources are traditionally focused on boosting a party nominee, typically through events at upscale hotels for deep-pocketed contributors.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Lawrence Noble, a former general counsel of the Federal Election Commission (FEC) who is now with the nonpartisan Campaign Legal Center. “Joint victory funds are not intended to be separate operating committees that just support a single candidate. But they appear to be turning the traditional notion of a joint committee into a Hillary fundraising committee.”

Of the $6.4 million the Hillary Victory Fund spent on operating costs last year, two-thirds went to two Washington, D.C.-area vendors that also work for the Clinton campaign: Bully Pulpit Interactive, which received $1.9 million for online ads, and Chapman Cubine Adams +Hussey, which was paid $2.4 million for direct mail solicitations, Federal Election Commission records show.

The victory fund also sponsors Clinton’s online store, allowing donors who have already given the maximum to her campaign to purchase Hillary lapel pins, caps or car magnets, with their money benefiting the party. It’s similar to the way President Obama’s online shop was run in his 2012 reelection.Aides to Sanders, whose joint fundraising committee with the DNC has not yet been active, said the Hillary Victory Fund appears to be functioning as an arm of Clinton’s campaign.

“Senator Sanders has said since the beginning that one thing his campaign is all about is trying to restore trust in the political system, and some of this looks like it’s business as usual,” said Mark Longabaugh, a senior adviser to Sanders and his campaign liaison to the DNC. “It looks like the Clinton campaign is using the joint fundraising committee to the benefit of their presidential committee, using major donors and now lobbyist money in ways they should not.”

11 Likes

History[edit]
The Hillary Victory Fund is a joint fundraising committee for Hillary for America, the Democratic National Committee, and 33 state Democratic committees.[1] The Clinton campaign courted state party leaders to join the fund during the August 2015 Democratic National Committee summer meeting.[2] The fund’s launch was originally delayed by concerns from the Clinton campaign over the party’s control of shared monies,[3] but went forward on September 10, 2015, as a partnership between the Clinton campaign and the United States Democratic Party’s Democratic National Committee.[4] The fund is the earliest fundraising coalition formed between a presidential candidate and the national party.[2] Several officials in the national committee only became aware of the plans in the weeks before its launch.[3] The 33 state parties were added six days later.[4] Mississippi, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Wisconsin were among the first state Democratic Party committees to commit to the Victory Fund. The states, in turn, would receive monies from the fund and assistance with voter registration.[3] Some states, like California, Iowa, Nebraska, and Washington, chose not to participate. The Utah Democratic Party chose to participate and its head said that state donations were expected to be sent to national headquarters.[2] Access to the fund is “legally available to any Democratic candidate”, though only Clinton’s campaign receives direct access to large donors.[3] A spokesperson for the Democratic National Committee said that the joint fundraising committee was designed to raise funds for use after the presidential primary,[1] and was no different from the victory funds of the previous two presidential elections.[2] Proceeds would be invested in the national electoral roll, state party budgets, and expanded research, digital, and communications systems.[2]

The fund is managed by the Clinton campaign and its treasurer is the campaign’s chief operating officer, Elizabeth Jones, who has the sole discretion for the timing of money transfers. The Washington Post wrote that the fund operates within the Clinton campaign and is run by campaign staff, who are, in turn, funded by the Hillary Victory Fund.[2] The campaign has said that the state parties and other party campaigns would benefit from the agreement in a time when Republicans received donations in “record amounts”.[2] The campaign saw itself as competing with “untold hundreds of millions of dollars being spent with zero accountability by super PACs”.[2]

The fund raised about $27 million in 2015 and received “six-figure donations from longtime Clinton allies”.[2] Hillary Clinton attended her first Hillary Victory Fund event in early December 2015 with 160 attendees.[1] The musician Sting hosted the event in New York.[2] Tickets ranged from $33,400 per person to $100,000 per couple, and raised $8 million for the fund.[5] The fund held a second event, hosted by Elton John and Katy Perry in Radio City Music Hall, in early March 2016. George and Amal Clooney hosted a third fundraiser on April 15, 2016, in the Bay Area home of venture capitalist Shervin Pishevar for the Hillary Victory Fund in which seats at the head table with the Clooneys and Clinton cost $350,000. A fundraiser the next day at the Clooneys’ mansion has an entrance fee of $33,400 per person. (For comparison, other Clinton fundraisers without celebrities asks hosts to raise $10,000 to $50,000.) Attendees at the Clooney mansion event include Kate Capshaw and Steve Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and Haim and Cheryl Saban.[5] Following the national committee’s decision to end its 2008 ban on federal lobbyist contributions, the International Business Times reported another event on March 21, 2016, organized by Clinton campaign chair John Podesta, Citibank and News Corporation lobbyist Steve Elmendorf, pharmaceutical lobbyist Jeff Forbes, and financial lobbyist Susan Brophy for the Hillary Victory Fund.[6]

1 Like

Clinton was on the board of directors of Walmart for six years. I don’t believe for even half a second that there’s no connection between this funding and what the Walton’s expect in return.

Also, did you mean to reply to Cory? Because I’m objecting to the notion that Clinton’s going to fuckall to address income inequality.

14 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that. Hey, you do you. I don’t like Clinton, and I have no particular enthusiasm for the Dems. They’re at best the least worst option.

I like Sanders’ independence, and I don’t like the idea that the party are financially beholden to one candidate during the primary campaign. This is why think it’s laughable when Clinton says she isn’t a natural politician. This sort of thing is exactly what politics is.

At least it looks like you’ll get the candidate and (presumably) president you want, so you’ll win.

8 Likes

I’ll see how I vote when California’s primary comes around. I don’t support disinformation on any front. If I saw a post on BB about how Bernie drinks dolphin blood, I’d look for background on it too.

Lie about Trump all you want.

7 Likes

21 Likes

Do what now?

Oh, never mind. I see what you’re saying.

Don’t worry about him. He won’t be the candidate.

Heh. Phone just autocorrected candidate to Canadian. Is it a sign?

10 Likes

Make up any stories about Trump you like, I won’t complain.

3 Likes

Hillary was once on Walmart’s Board of Directors.

11 Likes

Not just once, but for 6 years. She resigned in 1992. Guess what else happened in 1992?

11 Likes

10 Likes

Donald Trump invited Clinton to his wedding in 2005. Her wedding present was a Wal-Mart gift certificate.

4 Likes

Donald used it on breast implants for his then wife, whichever one it was, and a new toupe.

6 Likes

Clinton was on the Walmart board of directors, as I recall.

1 Like

Not so sure about that…

1 Like

Donald Trump once shot a man just for snoring.

4 Likes

Trump or Cruz. Either way it’s a bucket of shit in a suit with facial expressions designed to appear nearly lifelike.

6 Likes