Walmart takes guns off shop floor

I’d be ok with not recruiting anyone to the military until they are 21 as well.

5 Likes

Back in the grand old days of 2019, the strongest defence of freedom…

Fast forward…

12 Likes

IMHO younger men are more easily recruited – hot hormones and delusions of immortality can fade by age 21. Adults enlist for more adult reasons, like no other job prospects.

3 Likes

That is both a red herring and an example of the perfect solution fallacy. We can regulate guns without needing to find the perfect solution to regulate all weaponry.

16 Likes

“We can regulate chicken farming but we’ll never be able to regulate the beef industry.”

As analogies go…

10 Likes

This is truth!

…Sporting goods! I love that store for camping gear. I just don’t need the guns :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dicks may have done it for the PR, but they took a risk when they got rid of guns and it paid off. They saw an increase in sales in other areas that offset the loss of gun sales.

9 Likes

CSB
Went deep sea fishing with my aunt when I was 8. I had to stick a fish-hook into the live bait’s lower jaw bone. We were looking for flounders, but all we caught were herrings. I asked why we couldn’t just have a nice day on the boat and go for a seafood dinner later. I was told “YOUR FEMALE COUSINS DID THIS, so YOU CAN TOO!”. I wasn’t sure what to make of that at the time, but now I get it.
/Not so CSB

3 Likes

Yup. That’s why I’ll pay an extra few bucks vs. Amazon to get all my gear.

1 Like

I thought there was an explicit mention of “whataboutism” in the BB guidelines… but I guess I must have been dreaming.

4 Likes

Why? I didn’t get mine yet. I also didn’t get my renewed firearms license yet but that’s remarkably easy when you work Security, Well it used to be in the 1980s. MACE was classified with rifles and shotguns back then in Boston MA.
I never could afford anything but MACE. Longarms are expensive.

The choice of 21 is somewhat arbitrary, but does have the logic of allowing the prospective gun buyer to get some separation from high school.

People under 18 regularly hunt and can receive guns as gifts, though most if all states require parental permission. If you are from a hunting family, that is normal. I don’t see 18 as a problem for minimum legal age for purchase of the kinds of guns traditionally used for hunting and target shooting, and it seems wrong to ask a 19 year old legal adult to get parental permission for gun ownership. But I also can see a big box store choosing a higher age because they aren’t interacting with the customer as much and are thus less able to pick up on red flags.

1 Like

Or, it’s anything to do with brain development, but rather at age 25, most people have enough time to become experienced drivers. Rental companies don’t have access to your driving history to figure out if you’re an experienced driver. So they use the next best available proxy: age.

1 Like

Not talking about bolt-action hunting rifles or target-shooting rifles. I’m talking about anti-personnel weapons - handguns and semi-auto rifles.

2 Likes

Thing is, I wouldn’t really give a shit what type of gun it was if I got shot.
Or care how many edges were on the knife that stabbed me.

Bullshit like that still gets people killed.

“We limited the size of the magazines.”
“He bought two.”
“We did not see that coming!”

“The shooter was 19.”
“Ah, well, totally legal then.”

Bullshit, all of it.

8 Likes

I think the USA should regulate and track ammunition. They should mark every bullet with some microscopic serial number, and require ammunition makers to pay for health insurance. That way when a shooting victim comes into a hospital, it becomes possible to find out who shot them, and who should pay for their medical care.

7 Likes

Why stop at guns? Let’s have mandatory grenade safety training too!

Of course, that would be kind of silly since we live in a society where the vast majority of people will not—indeed should not—ever have any particular need to handle or operate a grenade. Maybe it would be better all around to just make sure grenades aren’t freely available to people who have no business getting their hands on one.

10 Likes

Switchblade, pike, and garrote training, too. Be prepared.

3 Likes

banana

8 Likes