Walt Disney reviews work-in-progress "Pirates of the Caribbean"

I know, right? The mansplaining, it burns.

“He’s gotta be tough, because pirates were, uh…pretty tough.”

I’m amazed Julie’s eyes didn’t roll right out of her head.

4 Likes

“audio-animatronic” … buzzword of the time?
note to self: try to use that in a meeting today.

I lived in Southern California for 30 years. I went to Disneyland nearly annually. Everything in the park is changing, all the time. I still mourn the loss of the Peoplemover.

5 Likes

Somewhat coincidentally, it’s been nearly 30 years since I went to Disneyland and. . .wait, the Peoplemover is gone!?!? Why didn’t anyone tell me!

It’s still in Disney World, albeit without the awesome original commentary.

This is mind-blowy to me. Disney[world|land] was, for any kids in my neighborhood or school, or relatives, who got to go (and there weren’t many) a super-special occasion.

I finally went to d’world when I was about 30, when WorldCon was in Orlando. Me and a half-dozen or so friends, all alumni of the campus science fiction club. It was a lot of fun, and impressive, but I couldn’t see going back for a while . . . in part because I heard it changed.

My sister took my nieces twice, a few years apart . . . which seemed kind of sacriligious to me.

1 Like

It’s a Disney trademark for a robot that performs a routine or motion synchronized with audio via electromechanical means (yes, I cheated and double-checked wikipedia on this one).

One of their key innovations was hydraulics over pneumatics. But it’s come a long way since then.

1 Like

Yeah it took me a while to realize that’s how it is for most people. I mean, it’s still stupid expensive to go, but one way or another I probably went 25/30 years. My dad loved it. He had an annual pass for years. Took all sorts of slightly-psychedelic photos of rides and stuff. This one got used in an IFLScience article:

I like it because I can feel the teacups spinning when I look at it.

3 Likes

How fun to see an in-progress look at what became the masterpiece of Disneyland.

As a Southern Californian with a larger than average family (6 is larger than average, right?), I always wanted to go more than we did, but I acknowledge that once every four years or so is still a fairly high visit ratio.

As a kid, visits were rare enough that I wanted to squeeze every last minute of enjoyment out of the park. My goal was always to open and close the park, (parental) exhaustion be damned!

As a childless adult, I found that my maximum enjoyment was having the annual pass and being able to justify “I’ll come back next month.” to really dig into the experience and sheer immensity of the work and design that goes into generating that experience.

But as a parent, it’s exhausting and demoralizing because I remember how hyped I was as a kid and there’s pressure to return to that mindset as well as having to mind more mundane things like safety and money and time.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.