Watch Disneyland's original Pirates of the Caribbean

Originally published at: Watch Disneyland's original Pirates of the Caribbean | Boing Boing

6 Likes

barry clifford pirate GIF

6 Likes

Can’t say I’m a fan of how they shoehorned in the characters from the new movies during recent redesigns but it’s probably for the best that they did away with the part where a procession of weeping women were being sold into sexual slavery.

17 Likes

I also have strong memories associated with the ride, going back to my first time on it age 6 or 7. I still remember my father laughing hysterically as we were about to go over that first drop (“dead men tell no tales…”) and how I tried to hide in the space under the bow as he told me the next one was coming.

Everything about that ride, including the bromine-scented water, brings me back to that day. A visit to the park isn’t complete for me without it.

7 Likes

Looks like a lot of the footage came from this Disney TV special about the opening: Disneyland: From the Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow (1968) - YouTube

5 Likes

That would explain why the gunshots and explosions look “enhanced” (unless the robots were firing real bullets back in the day).

3 Likes
3 Likes

More than that, the ride was obviously lit for filming. Remember, this was 1967, long before low-light video cameras or even super-fast movie film. This was a professional Disney production, not a visitor’s home movie.

5 Likes

Cadavers getting great enjoyment from their gold seems reminiscent of the oil companies celebrating record profits as we head towards an extiction event.

Fun fact:
https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/article/Disneyland-s-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-ride-once-16056619.php

1 Like

They can use that for a modern day reboot of two film franchises: Pirates of the Caribbean meets Poltergeist.

According to a 1999 interview with Claude Coats, one of the original Imagineers who worked on that ride, even Walt himself had some doubts about if it was appropriate.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.