Want a coronavirus test? It's easy - just be rich, famous, or powerful

So no sneezing / coughing on the rich? Asking for a few 100 million Americans.

4 Likes

Better safe than sorry. Sneeze on the rich. That way they will see the need for good care and maybe some of it will trickle its way down to us. Hah.

1 Like

Probably. Assuming that the testing process itself does not spread the disease.

I’ve been hearing a lot of contradictory messages on this-- probably because there should be another, substantially lower horizontal line on that “flatten the curve” diagram: epidemiological capacity-- and for whatever reason, that’s been exceeded.

1 Like

That trickle you speak of, it ain’t ever coming…

2 Likes

Or just be an NBA player

I think that’s covered under “rich / famous.”

So 50 patients, at minimum of $5500 a year just for the privilege of having a doctor on demand, means that guy makes minimum $275,000 in base annual fees, not including individual home visit costs, procedure costs, and other medical costs. Most docs are in the wrong side of doctoring.

Not all of them are rich and/or famous.

… I believe I can safely state there isn’t a single one less rich and/or famous than I am. But whatever. I guess you have a point you are trying to make that’s being lost on me.

1 Like

Oh, there’s a point.
(in the voice of Kramer) :smirk:

Definitely, the minimum salary for an NBA rookie is $898,000*, well above the $480K minimum gross that constituted being a 1%er as of 2018.**

1 Like

Why not go all in? I say total lockdown ( of Trump) is the only way to beat this thing.

2 Likes

Dr. Shlain’s Private Medical group does not advertise and has virtually no presence on the web, and new patients come strictly by word of mouth. But with annual fees that range from $40,000 to $80,000 per family (more than 10 times what conventional concierge practices charge), the suite of services goes far beyond 24-hour access or a Nespresso machine in the waiting room.

1 Like

With all due respect. Your view directly contradicts the statements from top experts in the field. Isolation and social distancing are important, but to quote the Director-General of the WHO, “you cannot fight a fire blindfolded”. The more testing we can do, the farther ahead of the curve we can get and the better we can control COVID-19’s spread.

Please keep the pressure on your elected officials to get an adequate testing program up and running in the US.

You Cannot Fight a Fire Blindfolded

The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains Whats Coming

3 Likes

You know, I disagree with the subtitle of the linked article. The US makes those tradeoffs ALL THE DAMN TIME. It’s just that they normally happen behind closed doors and the wealthy people doing the self-dealing don’t talk about it outside their “club”. But now we’re getting into the territory where they can’t hide or spin their decisions to protect themselves from the fallout. It feels like they’re quickly headed for a “let them eat cake” moment.

3 Likes

I respect your correcting me (it’s frequently how I learn) but the test kits are in painfully short supply. I look at the problem as ‘how do we minimize the spread right now’ and then get to the more technological aspects of the problem later, when the supplies and means are there.

I think Canadian vs. American relative levels of infection and deaths will probably track in the current ratios if measures continue to be implemented and enforced.

Except the buffoon in the White House and the governor of Texas are set to seriously fuck that up.

2 Likes

Who’s with me!!!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.