Want to be a Cisco network admin? Get CCNA certified for 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/11/want-to-be-a-cisco-network-adm.html

Honestly, this is a real problem in the industry, created by Cisco certs — nobody should want to be a ‘Cisco Network Admin’, they should want to be a ‘Network Admin’. Learn the core concepts, and don’t focus so much on a single vendor.

As a hiring manager, completing network certifications shows a minimum level of discipline on the part of a candidate. With two otherwise identical options, I will choose the one who has a certification for this reason, assuming it is at least peripherally relevant to the job they are applying for.

Otherwise I don’t really take them into account.

I’m also all for sending folks for training on the stuff they actually use as part of their job, but that would be your employer sending you, not you choosing to go and get certified, not the employee hunting for discounts (hopefully). That being said, lots of orgs have budget limitations for training, so if this deal helps get around that, send the link to your manager!

The problem I’ve always had with org training, is that they say they’d love to pay for your cert.

As long as you don’t work any fewer hours, maintain all performance metrics, and don’t study on company time.

2 Likes