Warrior nuns and body horror in the trailer for the BBC's "reinvention" of Dracula

The trouble is, Dracula has been reinterpreted and adapted so many times that I think a faithful interpretation of the book would be difficult to sell to audiences who are so used to the vampire mythos that has built up over the ages from other media.

3 Likes

The epistolary format of the book is so anti-cinema that an accurate adaption is not ever likely.

But the one work which is totally changed/ruined by decades of adaptation is Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. The book’s ending of the chemically induced alter ego was a surprise twist. Now its the main feature of the story.

6 Likes

It could still be pulled off if it went under a different name and tucked away the surprise to the end of a TV season.

Not sure where they would go from there, but it could be cool.

2 Likes

Sisters Buffy of the Immaculate Dusting

5 Likes
3 Likes

Nope. Nope, nope, never. Regardless of subject, and of whether it’s even something I’d disagree with or not. I’ll happily read an article three times as long, but just no to this.

2 Likes

So Clara, River Song and Amy Pond were “cardboard characters”?

1 Like

Came for the Warrior Nuns and was not disappointed.

3 Likes

If you think Moffat nailed the characterisation of women in his career so far, good luck to you.

With a Moffat version, I’m expecting a Mina and Lucy who don’t represent independent women breaking out of Victorian expectations and instead women completely enraptured by any man around them and only happy (and on-screen) when they are providing some assistance in developing his goals and well-being.

1 Like

I don’t need a scene by scene breakdown of why something I enjoyed is actually terrible in someone else’s opinion.

I was never exposed to much Hitchhikers Guide until the Hollywood movie and it is one of my favorite movies, unfortunately the die hard fans already had expectations of what it was supposed to be and hated it. I believe they are missing a really wonderful effort.

I’m a Star Wars baby, loved the original trilogy and have been yearning to recapture that magic again, but I know no star wars titles will ever do that for me ever again. Come January there will be hundreds of hours of critical insights on YouTube as to why episode 9 is terrible, some I may agree with but mostly I will just have to remember that expecting all 9 episodes to blow me away simply can’t happen.

2 Likes

I would pay to see “The Penguins” from “The Blues Brothers” fight vampires in 1970’s Chicago.

5 Likes

Oh, cool. Good to know. The tl;dw is that Sherlock’s pretty bad, and has only gotten worse in later seasons. You’re welcome.

No one does, but I enjoyed it, so I thought I’d share. It’s not scene-by-scene, btw, it’s a video essay covering the entire run. Since you like Star Wars - did you watch any of the Red Letter Media prequel reviews? It’s the same thing, without the conceit of a fictional narrator.

1 Like

Here’s my go to on that…

…see what you think.

4 Likes

Oh my gosh… I loved that channel! Unfortunately some of his material doesn’t pass the #metoo test and then his stunt about desteoying action figures just pushed me away. But yeah, loved that stuff.

But honestly this hyper critical review era is wearing thin on me. None of us know why decisions were made and it is easy to critique from the outside… and often place all the blame on one person when that simply isn’t true.

So yeah, coming all the way back around, I’m not the least insulted when an artist turns on his “fans” who have now become production experts and critiquing every brush stroke.

There are many ways to read that sentence.

2 Likes

@Mangoch
The crucifix was a nice touch.

2 Likes

You chattered on that long just to say that?* Wow.
Seriously, though, if it’s that complex and involved, writing it out can only help. You’re just like the Jordan Petersonites I was arguing this very thing about elsewhere last week.
Then, making it even worse, (even though it’s a response to someone else) you reference Red Letter Media, the very source of my whole “Check out this review I’d normally be interested in? Okay… (checks) Oh, a video… forget it, then” attitude in these situations. How about an essay essay, screw “video essays.”

*A condescending response is only valid to a “tl:dr” reaction, not to a “tl:dw” one, btw

2 Likes

edit: nevermind, so not worth it.

See Penny Dreadful and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for that already

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.