Washington Redskins to change name

That does look really nice.

1 Like

Thank you. I would have just considered both parts to be the name.

So what happens for large cities with multiple teams in The same sport?

1 Like

That picture is for the wrong team

3 Likes

Well, there were a number of generals involved in the failed July 20 plot to assassinate Hitler in 1944, which would make them better than other ones, I suppose.

Aaaaaand, back on topic, since they haven’t announced a new name yet.

27 Likes

there’s your team, and the team across town that plays in the junior varsity conference with the silly rules.

3 Likes

No, more so! I used Guardian as an example because they actually do often leave the epithet out of their reporting (and it’s one of my daily reads). Most US outlets don’t give a shit.

4 Likes

The thing that’s really crazy, is that you wouldn’t even use comparable terms to illustrate how awful this word is, you’d use terms like “the n-word”. Even Fox News wouldn’t print out the n-word, but no one has any problem with this term, apparently. This will be one of those things we look back at in 25+ years and wonder how it was ever even a debate.

Think about this; 30 years ago there was a massive and heated debate about whether or not accommodations should be made for people with disabilities. That seems insane to me now, yet here we are (not) having the same discussions.

3 Likes

I disagree. The name was the Washington Redskins. Their nickname was usually the Skins and sometimes the Hogs.

The name of DC’s baseball team is the Washington Nationals. Fans call them the Nats.
From your examples the names are: New York Giants and Los Angeles Rams. Not sure if either has a nickname,

Pretending the term Redskins wasn’t the official name is not right. That’s just Dan Snyder and his supporters being disingenuous.

1 Like

Riffing on Sherman Alexie, we could change the “Fighting Whiteys” to the “Angry Whiteys.”

1 Like

Washington Windtalkers? (Though alas, that term seems to have been invented for the movie…)

Washington Filibusters?

FTFY, yr welcome

2 Likes

24 Likes

slate does this, literally.

But, yes, it’s the official nickname. Plus, there’s the whole logo.

1 Like

I think Redtails is nice and it got some sort of polling approval with the fans a few years back if I’m remembering correctly.

But there’s really only one answer. Because pain heals… chicks dig scars… glory lasts forever…

And look, it’s John Wick as QB!

2 Likes

There have been (and would be this year if not for you-know-what) NFL and MLB games in London, there is a large enough fanbase for NFL highlights to have been on the BBC.

Apparently the press release was released under the @redskins handle.

1 Like

Great! Meanwhile:

Trump Financial Regulator Quietly Shelved Discrimination Probes Into Bank of America and Other Lenders

At least six investigations into discriminatory mortgage loan “redlining” have been halted or stalled — against staff recommendations — under the Trump administration’s Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

4 Likes

I think you missed my point. That is the name. It is not a nickname.
Their name is a racist slur. A nickname is something people call you.

1 Like

Native American Advocacy Groups: Your team name is an offensive racial slur and we’d like you to change it.

Redskins Management, for literally decades: Go screw yourselves.

FedEx: We’ve noticed that your team name is raising concerns among 12.7% of our customer base.

Redskins Management, 5 minutes later: We’re on it!

16 Likes

The redtails are certainly worthy of remebrence, but I would rather see less military / war derived names in sports and it still presents a lot of opportunity for bad promotion and merchandising that stereotypes rather than honors the proposed namesake. I would definitely like to hear what the surviving airmen and their descendents think about this.

How about the Washington protestors? Or the DC monuments?

1 Like