Washington Redskins to change name

Now if only Cleveland would get their shit together I could go to another baseball game.

6 Likes

In 2019, the ncaa championship game was played between

and

Both teams share the same “nickname”-- the Tigers. Most people will use the official names Clemson and LSU. The NFL has adopted the same convention. I wish there was a legal document I could show you that defines “nickname” and “mascots” (the helmet emblem) as components of the teams brand, but trademark law quickly bores me.

It’s jargon, rather than the larger linguistic world.

4 Likes

How about Washington Walruses? As far as I know there is no connection between Washington and any walruses but I think it is a good name.
Washington Woodpeckers?
Washington Worms?
Washington Wild Turkeys?
Washington White Rhinoceroses?

2 Likes

Maybe steer clear of Woodpecker

4 Likes

Atlanta too - with their weird fake Native song and chant, and their “tomahawk chop.” There’s also Chicago’s hockey team.

4 Likes

That’s what I was saying. It’s quite possible that the articles in the Guardian that use the R****s name were written by the UK editors and the once that don’t by the US editors (or even vice versa!). That would explain the inconsistency even as they are trying to do the right thing. It might not even be a question of the editors not knowing the difference but one of them writing for different target audiences (with us Europeans needing the context to even know what the controversy is about).

On the website articles from the different regions are wildly mixed so as a reader you might not even realise where your current read originated.

2 Likes

It looks like Guardian UK also call the Exeter rugby union team the Exeter Chiefs, despite there being no link between Exeter and Native Americans that I am aware of.

In the 1990s, Exeter Rugby Club turned semi-professional and changed their name from Exeter Rugby Club to Exeter Chiefs in 1999[5] after previously being referred to as the Chiefs in the 1930s.[6] In 2016, the club’s fans were called upon to change their behavior over concerns that it could be considered an offensive appropriation of Native American culture.[7] News outlets later reported that the club had been urged to change its name.[8] In July 2020, a group set up by Exeter Chiefs supporters called for the club’s “racist use of Native American imagery and branding” to be dropped, comparing the use of the headdresses and chanting the Tomahawk Chop to blackface. A petition gained more than 550 signatures in a week, with Exeter’s Labour MP, Ben Bradshaw, also publicly backing the move. [9] By Wednesday 8 July the petition had grown to 2,000 signatures and the debate about whether a re-brand was needed gained widespread attention.[10][11][12]

There is no reason to not just call them Exeter except when quoting someone.

5 Likes

I think Chicago has the permission of the Blackhawk nation to use that. It also refers to a specific group (again, I believe with permission), and is not a general slur.

10 Likes

wrong Washington, though the DC metropolitan area does have a lot of geese.

1 Like

Oh no, a football mascot got cancelled. Let us morn for the death of democracy.

4 Likes

My wife and, by extension, I have been activists for the dismantling of racist sports team mascots and caricatures for years and years now, and we know many people, now elders, in the Native community who were fighting the same fight for the past 55+ years since the U.S. Government began the (ostensibly forced) relocation of people off the reservations and into urban centers.

This is really a HUGE fucking victory, and I’m so proud of all the people who have worked tirelessly on this campaign. There’s still so much work to do, but it should become easier.

11 Likes

And most of them are Canadian!

3 Likes

We could name them the Washington Whiners, but that wouldn’t really be fair to the players.

11 Likes

there’s some sort of a consensus among the locals that Dan Snyder has run the team into the ground.

From 2019, a story commenting on how the team hasn’t won very many games.

Dan Snyder probably won’t sell the [Washington football franchise], but the NFL could force him to

2 Likes

I keep forgetting that the team is for the Metro DC area, not the state of Washington… Obvious the Seahawks are their team.

6 Likes

There are only two good football team names, and the only real choice is whether they want to be the Washington Dillon Panthers or the Washington East Dillon Lions.

Clear eyes, full hearts, etc.

2 Likes

The actual ‘‘exceptions’’ in terms of Confederate generals were James Longstreet (who led African-American militia units against white insurrectionists in the 1870s) and possibly Patrick Cleburne (an Irish immigrant who tried to get the Confederacy to abolish slavery).

There are relatively few memorials to either of them- in particular, Longstreet didn’t get a memorial at Gettysburg until 1998, in part because he was portrayed as incompetent as part of the Lost Cause myth because of his post-war actions.

9 Likes

Walruses! Yes. I am in favor

3 Likes

Built in crowd response. Warriors, come out and play, Warriors, come out and plaAAAY.

As for the Redtails. This may be why they did not announce it today. People are jerks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tons-of-redskins-nickname-options-have-been-trademarked-by-a-guy-in-virginia-154239747.html

6 Likes

I’m sure this guy will go away with a nice cash transfusion. Consider it a penalty for waiting so long to change your racist mascot and move on.

BTW, Wonkette gets headlines right:

ETA: None of that was directed at you; prior discussions upthread.

7 Likes