Watch 1958's "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" a sci-fi horror allegory for ideological fanaticism

Originally published at: Watch 1958's "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" a sci-fi horror allegory for ideological fanaticism | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I very much disagree that the movie is about ideological fanaticism.
It seems pretty plainly to be about gender and domesticity in the postwar/Cold War period. (I mean, look at the title.)
I also take it as an allegory for the generation of American soldiers that returned home traumatized by war and entered suburban life; the young husband turns out to be “not at all what he seems to be,” to be a strange, alien being hiding behind a veneer of normality.

2 Likes

The allegory for the secretly gay peril seems more on point. Something fairly prevalent in non SF films of the time.

“Why isn’t my husband like the other guys, so secretive. Hangs around with those other guys in the park”

The movie ends with a lynch mob of recent fathers tracking down the aliens and killing them with hunting rifles and an attack dog.

eat your batteries…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.