Watch: 1965 TV ad for creepy kids' doll: Little Miss No-Name

Originally published at: Watch: 1965 TV ad for creepy kids' doll: Little Miss No-Name | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Bet they just flew off the shelves. Or not…

4 Likes

Counterpoint:

It’s brilliant and about 50 years ahead of its time. The snowstorm package is :kissing::ok_hand:perfection.

13 Likes

15 Likes

I’d be sad too if I didn’t have eyes. shiver

6 Likes

You basically have “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Andersen, sans matches. I remember the story being popular with children where I grew up, so I believe they would have had better success with this pitch.

Besides…with Jarts and Easy-Bake Ovens and Thing Makers and DIY chemistry sets being sold in the same era, what could be wrong with including a few matches? :man_shrugging:

18 Likes

Guilt Trip in a Box

6 Likes

The Sacrfolk council has selected a GIFT for this Holiday season. The Council Christmas Boy will deliver a Little Miss No-Name to each household with children.

You have been warned.

9 Likes

6 Likes

Please stop citing current eBay listings as indicators of market value. Look at sold prices.

7 Likes

If they just wanted to sell the doll by itself it certainly was a missed opportunity. They should’ve sold accessories, like slightly better clothes, shoes that don’t fit quite right, confusing and exacting stacks of paperwork to fill out just right to request assistance, not to mention playsets like a tent to sleep in that a cop kicks down every morning.

7 Likes

Reminds me of a more depressing version of the Kenner Blythe dolls.

3 Likes

Pre-goth doll from 1965. Checks out perfectly.

5 Likes

Just her ARMS sold for $9.99

2 Likes

How much for a kidney?

4 Likes

Um, no.
A pre-adolescent checking behind her as she walks
is the scariest thing ever.

1 Like

The set at the beginning is like a cross between what an American thinks Victorian England looked like and (the OG, of course) Dark Shadows.

W/that hair hanging over one side of her face she looks like a blonde emo.

Sold listings indicate nontrivial value.

1 Like
2 Likes

This doll’s uncle lives in Hawaii *:

(The cookies are really good, BTW. )

*) As Margaret Keane did, hmmm…

1 Like