Watch: A 10-foot alligator found under a parked car in Tampa is loaded onto a truck

Originally published at: Watch: A 10-foot alligator found under a parked car in Tampa is loaded onto a truck | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The part that was probably more fun was getting his jaws muzzled. I’m surprised they weren’t more wary of tail whips.

8 Likes

I measured 10 foot 3 inches, but …

3 Likes

Yeah I want to see part one!

5 Likes

Ex-Tampa man here, who had gators in the drainage ditches near the grocery store I worked at and my house.

Advice:

Clamp their jaws shut, and keep an eye on the tail. They have so many muscles to clamp jaws down, but few to open. You can hold their mouths closed with one hand, but you’d need a ply-bar to get them open.

Don’t try to run away straight from them; go zig-zag. They are fast, but have a horrible turning ability.

Don’t swim in ponds or lakes at night. If you decide to do so, decide your next-of-kin first.

edit spelling (cry != ply)

7 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpyQFtO5jrA

4 Likes

A friend used to work as an animal control officer in Florida. And yeah this sort of thing is not a rare occurrence.

4 Likes

Missed the Delightful Creatures tag!

3 Likes

And LEASH YOUR PETS. Gators love loose dogs.

/current Tampa resident

5 Likes

taking it to a farm

Is this the same farm my old dog went to? I hear it’s a really nice place. I hope he has a big pond and lots or other alligator friends to play with!

7 Likes

yup! that’s the same farm!
not sure how evenly it is applied across the state, but typically, gators over 4ft in “public” setting are considered nuisance and put down.

5 Likes

And @joed, ohhhh. :cry:

3 Likes

So it’ll end up as boots, belts and handbags.

1 Like

was there not a creepy crawler in corner shop market posted here…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.