Watch a 5'2" player dominate a college basketball game

I know nothing about basketball, so forgive me if this is an incredibly ignorant question, but I’ve often wondered by, if boxing could have weight classes like “heavyweight,” “welterweight” etc., why can’t basketball have height classes, like “Under 6’” and heck, why not “Under 4’10"”

There’s nothing ignorant about that question. I think there was a shorter-player league founded back in the '80s or '90s, but it never really took off.

Yup, it was the late '80s and it was the International Basketball Association. Players had to be 6’4" or under.

Re the 2nd video, 0:44, I love how Darnell faked a “move” to the right with his eyes, which created a lane on his left, and with No.44 (Spasojevic) in on it and running over to support Darnell’s fake. Beautiful!

2 Likes

At world-championship levels it equalizes to about 50% lefties and 50% righties. But the edge you get as a lefty at the start isn’t really significant enough to drive the righties out completely.

One of the things I love about Australian Rules Football is that there is a place in the game for players of all sizes. The ruckmen/full-forwards/fullbacks tend to be close to seven feet tall (because a major part of their job is going for high balls), but the rovers and centres tend to be about 5’8” or so (because a major part of their job is scavenging the ball off the ground after the big guys drop it).

It’s similar to why I loved old-timey Australian stock car racing; there was nothing better than watching huge muscle cars going up against Mini Coopers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.