Watch a fidget spinner spin at 50,000 RPMs... and then break

Not in the UK or, presumably, Oz. ‘Vise’ is simply a misspelling here.

2 Likes

If it was 50,000 RPM it would be more than an octave above A440, and what I heard was pretty close to high-A, give or take a sharp. 880 x 60 = 52,800 RPM, so that’s pretty close.

8 Likes

They would but they’re all dead!

2 Likes

Those bearings are probably not too skookum, and will not chooch for long.

3 Likes

What I don’t get is that I’d never even heard of them until a few weeks ago, and all of a sudden they’re the Next Big Thing.

3 Likes

That’s actually how I first assumed they estimated but wasn’t certain the sound a spinning object makes only depends on its RPM and not its geometry as well.

But I’m also not certain if you are being serious.

1 Like

The rule of thumb with these kinds of things, is if you need to justify them or need them to serve a purpose, then you probably shouldnt buy one.

3 Likes

This has threefold symmetry though; this suggests you get three pulses per revolution, so 17krpm.

1 Like

Well, you can learn to spin a pen or pencil around your finger, or you can buy one of these. As far as its purpose…it’s called a fidget spinner for a reason. I tend to shake my leg a lot. It annoys the hell out of some people. Maybe this would annoy some less, but it would probably annoy some more, so … dunno. Of course, shaking my leg is free.

The spinner has three arms, so I would assume the actual rpm would be 1/3 of that, so a bit over 17000, which is close to the 20000 someone else measured.

Jesus, that really stressed me out for some reason.

2 Likes

Now you know how the fidget felt.

3 Likes

In a German speaking environment, a coworker can be a Spinner, but who’d want one for a friend?

2 Likes

They are potentially useful as a less distracting/harmful way of stimming.

Ooo that sneaky third harmonic!

2 Likes

You can see in the vid, no eye protection was used, at least by the spinner dude. Boggles.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.