Watch a prim and proper cover of 500 Miles by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

Originally published at: Watch a prim and proper cover of 500 Miles by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain | Boing Boing

3 Likes

"And when I haver, hey I know I’m gonna be
I’m gonna be the man who’s havering to you"

Haver? Havering?

Found it:
In Scottish English, haver (from the Scots havers (oats)) means “to maunder; to talk foolishly; to chatter,” as heard in the song “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers. In British English elsewhere, haver means “to hem and haw; to be indecisive”

7 Likes

Congrats, fellow white people. You somehow managed to take one of the whitest songs of all time and whitey it up even more. Congrats?

2 Likes

TBH this is a bit ‘meh’. Not much evidence of their usual elan.
I prefer their earlier stuff. There was a whole live concert somewhere online but I cannot find it now. However, I think all the tracks are individually on their YT channel. I’ve listed them below. (I’m sure you can find the links if you want to.)

(Though I detect some personnel changes. I recall one of the member died a while back. But more changes seem to have gone on.)

This lockdown effort has more of their traditional wit.

The live version of Wuthering Heights was a swing classic. They re-recorded it in zoomvision during lockdown.

ETA all the tracks listed above (and more) were from this DVD: Anarchy in the Ukulele

4 Likes

Oi! The Ukulele Orchestra is flawless! FLAWLESS!

2 Likes

Agreed, this was lacking in zip.

2 Likes

Loses something without the boys’ scottish inflections, IMO.

and…

Long live the Aardvark!

4 Likes

I wonder how long it took to arrange this potted plant so it would definitely steal the show.

It isn’t just me, is it? Y’all are as transfixed as I am by it, right?

2 Likes

https://ukuland.com/songs/10707-gracie-fields-the-biggest-aspidistra-in-the-world.html

2 Likes

An ‘as tame as possible’ cover of an overplayed bar athem…

I sort of get the joke they’re trying to make, but this one falls flat imho.

1 Like

Joke? I don’t see anything but a rather vanilla cover without any of the UOGB’s usual wit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.