Watch a robot solve a Rubiks Cube in 0.637 seconds

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/11/watch-a-robot-solve-a-rubiks-c.html

Part of your life. Part of tomorrow.

::shudder::

Sounds like a bad date.

Nice, but didn’t take very many moves to solve, likely not really “scrambled” much at all.

It would be interesting to let it run from random number generated output for a few minutes to get it really scrambled, then see how long it took to solve.

Apparently the most scrambled a cube can be is 20 moves.

http://www.cube20.org

That is awesome! You just won the intarwebs for me! :slight_smile:

(Huh, seems they updated in 2014 to 26 )

So we have religious differences then?

I think the 26 is for rotations of 90deg. The 20 also counts rotations of 180deg as one move.

Only if you’re a fundamentalist, 20 is Old Testament, 26 is New Testament. :smile:

It’s 20 moves if you take all the Catholic and Jewish moves out. 26 if you leave them in.

Do I really need a Rubik’s cube solving machine as part of my life?

Just imagine how much more respect America could have right now if you’d elected this thing as your president

Also the 'bot is able to turn both the top and bottom (or left and right) faces simultaneously, while holding the center still, combining two moves into one in a way that would be difficult for a human being to achieve.

In the early days of cube mathematics, two camps emerged on how to measure the difficulty of a position. West coast and Stanford mathematicians, free thinkers all, tended to prefer the half-turn metric,where any twist of any face, whether 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or 270 degrees counted as a single move. The east coast crowd, including MIT, tended to prefer the rigor of the quarter-turn metric, where a half-turn counted as two moves, since of course it could be accomplished by two consecutive quarter turns.

And now you know the real East-West war that lead to Tupac’s death

I, for one, welcome our Rubik’s Cube solving Overlords.

Yes!

Well, it would be a little limited in what it could do, but what it could do, it could do well!

Milliseconds

Bah!

I once tried to get my children interested in the cube, so I learned to solve it.

In milliseconds.

About 300000 of them.

That makes sense I mean, how many solved cubes are there? One, or six?

One seems the best answer to me, given the group rotational symmetry. So I vote for 20, not 26.

Democratic mathematics!