Watch: A spicy side-by-side of Dune (1984) and Dune (2021)

I bet the coloring books for this new version won’t be as cool:

4 Likes

Extreme short version! It’s about why humanity shouldn’t trust leaders, and takes place over thousands of years. The first book is EXTREMELY misleading when taken alone, it’s a setup, a gag, a formal “heroes’ journey” just to shoot it in the head on the next book then spin off into long ranging insanity as an extremely powerful descendent tries to avoid a Fermi Great Filter that is coming to wipe out humanity.

2 Likes

Lynch’s Dune did indeed nail down the look of the book’s universe – no doubt about that – but I’d think that’s mostly due to the genius of the Art department (sets and costumes). Lynch’s job was to take a massive tome and still tell a compelling tale that would satisfy the initiated and uninitiated, but – not being a director of epics – Lynch flubbed it. For me, the book was driven by the characters and the magnitude of what they were all involved in. It takes brilliance and understanding to successfully compress a 500 page book… one that didn’t have a single ounce of fat on it. Dune needed a David Lean, not a David Lynch. That all said, we may never know how Lynch’s Dune would have faired if he had been allowed to release his ~3 hour version, although it still would have been handicapped with over-exposition, heart plugs, and weirding modules.

2 Likes

I need these to scar grandchildren

3 Likes

“Paul and Chani’s love grew”

2 Likes

No, that is not what it is about. It is however, an exploration of what happens if certain parties control access to a resource that is deemed necessary. “He who controls the spice, controls the Universe”.

4 Likes

8 Likes

The earlier Dune was GRIM. But, but, but… Francesca Anis! …>sigh<

2 Likes

One thing I have noted during a re-read of the novel is how Frank Herbert noted that even before humans arrived on the planet, it was slowly dying because the predominant life form had killed off all other parts of the food chain. Granted, it was dying on a geological timeline, but his conceit was that the introduced life forms—the mammals, birds, insects, and plants around the sietches—were all seeded by humans. It’s worth noting because the greening of Arrakis was treated as a mistake (in-story by later generations in later novels) since it limited where sandworms could live, and reduced them to stock animals making spice. It was a clever way to show how we get nostalgic for the one thing we work so hard to get away from, I find.

This is only partially relevant, because David Lynch ended his movie with a rainstorm. But I did want to get it off of my chest.

5 Likes

10 Likes

He was sure to shut the door for a sequel. That ending gets really stupid. OG Paul gets his way by basically extorting to break the ecological cycle of the worms (and thus the spice production) by watering the breeding places. And Movie Paul celebrates the successful extortion by making exactly that happen? And on a global scale because he is the Kwisatz Hadderach (notably meaning he can access his male anchestors memories) as stated by Alia?

3 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

one of many

6 Likes

So not DC as you guessed! I think it was Dan Clowes who compared comics to TV and all anyone wanted to make was pilgrim TV shows. Imagine if you wanted to make anything else and everyone said “what have you got against pilgrim shows?”

The mainstream comic industry is in a blind alley of its own choosing. That they are persuading people to take their childhood fandom into adulthood is something they learned off Star Wars I think, it’s not a lesson that informs my reading very much.

Posting a list of what I’ve enjoyed would be a massive and long derail but I’ll start a thread in the whatya watchin/listening etc. vein for people to post comics they like, caped/fetish gear or not (though in general I prefer not personally) and mention you if that is okay?

1 Like

Yes, that’s good. I will say that many writers of books that I read as a child (Twain, Tolkien, Bradbury) are still things that I enjoy today, though I can enjoy different aspects, and recognize their limitations.

Speaking of pilgrim stories, I just saw “Easy A”, which was a “reboot” of The Scarlet Letter, and enjoyed it more than I expected.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.