Watch a Texas lawman's pathetic scramble for a reason not to record him

[Permalink]

Cory expects WAY too much from a “profession” that usually recruits its entry-level at a maximum IQ of 100, considering higher than that to be too likely to be bored by routine police work.

2 Likes

I’m proud of that young man for standing up not just for his rights but all of our rights. Not every fight for a free country takes place on a battlefield. All of us need to be as courageous and well mannered as this guy in our efforts to keep police in their proper role. They are publicly employed to protect us and our constitutional laws. Harassing us without reason is reason to resist. We have that responsibility to keep these employees in line with their job descriptions. The cops actions in this case reflected his desire to grab power. I wonder how this would have worked out if the citizen had been Black or Brown. God spare him had he looked as if he were from the middle east.

21 Likes

I don’t think it’s too much to expect cops not to deliberately abuse their power. You don’t need to be Wile E Coyote, Super Genius to know that is wrong, and when a cop says, or thinks to himself, “I’ll just make stuff up” then there is no question that is what they are doing - no “ignorance of the law” applies.

That cop should go to jail, IMO, for deliberate abuse of power. If you can’t trust a cop not to “make stuff up” over a nuisance, imagine what he’ll do when there is real crime. I wonder how much stuff he has made up in the past? All of his past and future court testimony should be considered in the light of what he just said he’d do to get the result he wanted.

28 Likes

Maybe part of it is a lack of job satisfaction? If they have a sense of really helping people, and the people they are putting away are really bad people that can’t be trusted, then maybe they wouldn’t have to fabricate this war against citizens.

1 Like

That’s actually a big part of the problem. They do see themselves as putting bad people away - and anyone who doesn’t do what they say, everything they say, is either one of the bad people, or is against the good people, the cops, who want to put the bad people away. It is an us, cops, vs them, everybody else, thing.

13 Likes

You are stating the effect and I agree with you, but what are the causes?

I think it is vastly underestimated, the sheer volume of people who get through each day exactly like that cop there tried to.

3 Likes

Any law enforcement agency should be up-to-date on… areas like citizens with cameras

There’s a factor missing here, that cops just plain don’t like limits on their power to do their job the way they want to. The see their work as important - rightly so, I think. They also see any limits as a pain in the ass that just makes it harder to do their job. I have known people in many different jobs who feel exactly the same way.

The question is, what do you do when you don’t like the rules, and all your buddies agree?

4 Likes

That guy has nerves of steel, I’d start smart-mouthing my ass down to the concrete about 3 minutes in.

7 Likes

It’s good to see buster doing so well after Arrested Development finished.

4 Likes

Cops are under intense pressure to meet their quotas. And every bust they make, legal or crooked, makes them feel good about earning some points. They’re playing Road Rage or whatever with real human targets.

1 Like

This is what kind of conflicts me about those open carry dip s…ts running around in Texas. I see the root of both arguments. That said, I’d probably have gotten lots of quality stick time if that had been me. Most LEO are just hard working people doing the best with what they’re issued. But, when you have guys basically making it up as they go along, like this guy (BTW, too much Fox New), The constitution gets shredded. Oh, Kudos deputy, for trying to tie this to muslim terrorism. S…t!. Feel like buying another gun now. Thanks, Obama! LOL!.

1 Like

Is there any app or special camera that automatically feeds the video/audio to a server as it is being filmed, so that is the camera/cell phone is confiscated and/or destroyed, the video will still exist? Otherwise, the lesson cops will take from this video is that they should have continued the grab of the video once started…

3 Likes

Bambuser

5 Likes

Good video for learning what our rights are, and for other reasons cited above. It’s also a good demonstration of white privilege. Imagine how these officers would have acted if a black or Arabic-looking man did and said the same things to them.

7 Likes

Pampa, TX is a town of 17,000. A little tiny town… in the panhandle of Texas.
The ‘videographer’ went to troll them.

I’m surprised it went so well.

These guys act like mall security guards… certainly not the SS.
If this is all you can come up with to show abuses of police powers, Its not very impressive.

well this man could stand up to them because he’s a law student. if a police officer told you it was against the law to video tape them and you didn’t know the law you would submit yeah? you would expect the police officer to know the law better than you.

Yeah, there is, but I forget its name.
ETA: but @vonbobo didn’t.

Why do you put videographer in quotes? Do you really think mall security guards can threaten to jail you for taking pictures? Why are you okay with law enforcement making up laws? Why are you okay with these police officers having a complete lack of understanding of the constitution? Considering your comparison to the SS, it seems like you’re saying “Nobody got thrown in a concentration camp, so it’s all good!”

8 Likes