Watch a very cute bat gobble up a banana

Doubtless taking its Rabbatical Leave.

5 Likes

Here’s one of those:

ʻAi Kapu

The ʻAi kapu was the kapu system governing contact between men and women. Many aliʻi obtained their power through this system, and then would give thanks to the god of politics Kū.[2] ʻAi means “to eat” and Kapu means sacred. Therefore, it is translated to “sacred eating”. It first came about because Wākea wanted to sleep with his daughter, Hoʻohōkūlani. To do this, his kupuna advised him to establish the ʻAi kapu which allowed him time away from his wife to be alone with his daughter.[3] In this particular practice, men and women could not eat meals together. Furthermore, certain foods such as pork (the body form of the god Lono), most types (67 of the 70 varieties) of bananas (body form of the god Kanaloa), and coconuts (body form of the god Kū) were considered kapu to women. In fact, women could not even make coconut rope. Taro (body form of the god Kāne) was kapu for women to cook and prepare. Some large fish were also kapu for women to eat. Isabella Abbott, a leading ethnobotanist of Hawaii theorizes that because of the limited “noa” (free) diet for Hawaiian women, seaweeds were relied upon more heavily for Hawaiians than other Pacific islands.[4]

The kapu system was used in Hawaii until 1819, when King Kamehameha II, acting with his mother Keōpūolani and his father’s queen Kaʻahumanu, abolished it by the symbolic act of sharing a meal of forbidden foods with the women of his court. Abolishing the ʻai kapu assured political power to the line of Kamehameha rulers as monarchs because it limited the power of the rulers below them. Originally, it was from this political system that the rulers throughout the island would gain rank, power, and prestige.[5]" Wikipedia

1 Like

Also, following the reddit convention, we really do need a banana for scale, to see how large the first banana is.

1 Like

I wish I had a good picture of her from that same angle as in the video, that is when she is really unmistakable as a looking like a fruit bat.

But this one gives you an idea of why I say that:

https://get.google.com/u/1/albumarchive/114252735487005027414/album/AF1QipMDHHrnnD85VhNBsAb6SvTzKWhxk7M2YWvv-Wp3/AF1QipNjjPrHx5fvYUEMQlJiXOCMTe3IwpzgCvnEqbG9

3 Likes

That sounds like some typical patriarchal “religious” bullshit. All the good foods are forbidden to women, and we’ll have a bit of divinely sanctioned incest on the side.

1 Like

That is one beautiful pooch, but I don’t think she looks anything like Fruitbat. :wink:

1 Like

The following is apropos (and very neat):

Oh, she’s beautiful! Lookit that face. I am slain.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.