Watch a video of a wild looking one-man helicopter called the HZ-1 Aerocycle (1950s)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/25/watch-a-video-of-a-wild-looking-one-man-helicopter-called-the-hz-1-aerocycle-1950s.html

2 Likes

“What is this helicopter missing?”

“An additional failure mode.”

12 Likes

If a pilot of this contraption ever said “oops,” it was the last thing he said.

9 Likes

The idea of making it standard equipment for infantrymen fell apart after a series of crashes highlighted its instability and safety concerns.

Like the fact that the soldier-pilot would be stuck on the platform, a sitting duck until the rotors stopped spinning. I can’t believe this never occurred to somebody.

8 Likes

The beefed up versions werent much better…

12 Likes

Unofficially called “the flying platform”, even more unofficially called “the flying Cuisinart”.

14 Likes

Pro tip here: If you are offered the chance to use a vehicle where the directions are “stand on a small platform just above the rotating blades”, just don’t.

10 Likes

Yet it took BBS all of three comments to diagnose this as a remarkably terrible idea.

ETA: What’s also shocking is that they didn’t even bother to outfit the prototype with any safety gear whatsoever. It doesn’t even look like the pilot is strapped in and there’s definitely not a safer cage guarding him from the rotors.

3 Likes

but there was;

The machine was a simple, cross-shaped frame, with the pilot standing on a platform, secured by a safety harness.

see?

the safety harness was even so friggin safe, you could fly hands-free! fuckyeah! /s

6 Likes

“Of the very worst words that can be heard by anyone high in the air, the pair known as ‘Oh-oh’ possibly combine the maximum bowel-knotting terror with the minimum wastage of breath.” Pterry Pratchett

4 Likes

As other said… man, I know that things were more “seat of your pants” back in the day, but yeesh. I can’t imagine how one landing little hard or a little too much at an angle would send you flying into those spinning rotors.

2 Likes

Why “human spinner cone” is not a viable profession.

2 Likes

Or what happens if you clip a bush or tree with the rotors. And it’s a helicopter, they are nowhere near as easy to control as skilled pilots make them look.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, did you say rotating knives?

4 Likes

There’s a reason jet engines became more popular than rotating blades.

Apropos of nothing except it was recommended by YouTube following this (perhaps military related videos and right wind maniacs are linked by the YT algorithm?)…

Holy rightist bias clickbait headline there. Is Forbes morphing into OANN?

2 Likes

Well, I stand corrected. Sign me up, General!

1 Like

Recent technological advances have brought us even more impressive innovations, such as the possibility of death caused by a dead battery in your handheld remote control:

2 Likes

If you’re ever in the SF Bay Area don’t miss the Hiller air museum, which has a bunch of crazypants stuff like this to look at IRL. Not flying, sadly! One of my faves.

1 Like

The small “Wings of History” museum in San Martin is near there too, and if anything some of the crazy homebuilt aircraft there really step up the insanity another notch. Check out this helicopter built out of a car:
https://www.wingsofhistory.org/dobbins-simcopter/