The history of the Helihome, a flying camper from the 1970s

Originally published at: The history of the Helihome, a flying camper from the 1970s | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Still not my favorite one though.

20 Likes

NB the brief image inserted when he talks about the fact that these conversion have a TV is from the show “Riptide,” which featured an S-58. Albeit one with a turbine conversion which uses far cheaper fuel and does not require as much maintenance as a big radial engine. Interestingly one of the illustrations in the brochure also features a turbine model although it does not appear that they ever built one like that.

3 Likes

20 Likes

Waiting for the giant drone version.

3 Likes

Woah, woah, woah. I was promised flying cars, but I had no idea flying homes were even on the table

5 Likes

russell brand infant sorrow GIF

Would using a Helihome get one branded as a Climate Criminal?

Also, is it too late to petition that this be called a housicopter? Homicopter?

3 Likes

Homicopter sounds like a slang name we would’ve used growing up in D.C. for helicopters like “Ghetto Bird.”

Or maybe Homey The Clown’s personal helicopter:

GIF by moodman

1 Like

Might I offer the steampunk domithopter as an alternative? It ensures the pilot has only the finest goggles and top hat.

5 Likes

Ooo, “-thopter” opens up possibilities. Dormithopter if it’s just a sleeper unit and not a full domicile.

4 Likes

I remember reading somewhere about a soviet luxury helicopter that was complete with shower and hot tub. Geez, I thought, how much fuel would it take to transport a thousand gallons of water around, just for fun. That’s what, 8000 pounds (3600 kg) plus all the machinery to run that thing.

I’ve always thought a flying camper would be amazing though I always imagined it to be more like some sort of zeppelin.

I guess if I were a billionaire of some sorts I would commission a sky yacht.

1 Like

This has a real Tom Swift aspect to it. Maybe inspired somewhat by this:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.