Watch a vinyl record spin so fast it disintegrates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/05/watch-a-vinyl-record-spin-so-f.html

2 Likes

The audio quality is poor at that speed.

15 Likes

I remember records from the 1980ies that would disintegrate like this at their nominal RPMs.

5 Likes

I wonder how well one of those flexi discs they used to put in magazines would hold up to those speeds.

3 Likes

I remember wishing that certain records from the 1980s would disintegrate like that

5 Likes

Um… did you intend to link to an old episode of Happy Days?

1 Like

Good god, Agadou was tolerable in French when I first heard it, but it’s SO AWFUL in English!

2 Likes

So you subject the rest of us to them. That was passive aggressive of you. /s

Also, I never realized Hawaii was part of the Carribean.

1 Like

SPIN, SPIN
SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE

4 Likes

Back in the day, a friend was the first to get the Dead Kennedys’ In God We Trust, Inc. EP (on vinyl because the only other option was to invite Jello Biafra into your home, of which his mother would surely have disapproved) and didn’t realize it was a 45 RPM (because it was LP sized).

He loved it. And, in a way, it let him appreciate the lyrics much more quickly than those of us who first heard it at full speed.

Nazi Punks!
Nazi Punks!
Nazi Punks! GO AWAY!

Yes, I realize that listening at 33 RPM instead of 45 is the opposite of spinning a vinyl record too fast, so GO AWAY!

2 Likes

I bet that Jello Biafra would be a perfectly well-behaved house guest!

4 Likes

9 frames at 12,500 fps = ~1/4 turn --> Rotation speed of ~350 Hz = ~20k RPM

At the outer rim, that gives a speed of about 330m/s, roughly equivalent to that of a 9mm bullet. Good thing they put up the cinder blocks.

6 Likes

Yes, but the 1980’s midwestern middle-aged parents’ perception of Jello Biafra would be less so… what with him being a kid… on their lawn.

3 Likes

Fun fact:
If you play Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m On Fire” at 45 instead of 33 it sounds exactly like Dolly Parton.

5 Likes

I’d believe it - the chunk that hit the board in front of one of the guys was moving pretty damn quick, but in the slo-mo you could see it already lost most of its speed after the ricochet off the cinder block.

1 Like

Playing Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring” at 45 sounds like something Lovecraft would write about.

3 Likes

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

From The Second Coming by W.B. Yeats

3 Likes

About a month ago on my drive to work (which involves dropping Mr 13yo at school), a Spotify-generated playlist dug into my history and included the song you call “Nazi punks GO AWAY*”.

Mr 13 thought it was hilarious until he realised dad not only knew the words, but could sing along at the top of his voice as we were stuck in traffic.

There are few joys as profound as that of embarrassing a child by singing aloud in a quasi-public place.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Thank you for that apposite quote.

@Kimmo I love these videos, but I often wonder what the lads’ neighbours think.

@mocon A high point on the John Peel Show was when he would play a track at one speed, realise it was the “wrong” speed, stop the record and start it again, then go back to the “wrong” speed because he preferred the sound. It really highlighted that musicians only make the music; it is down to the audience to listen to it.

2 Likes