Watch a woman get 11 tattoos representing American tattoo history

[Read the post]

Back in my sailing days we used “Preparation H”, before you start laughing, it reduces tattoo swelling and stops some of the burning [skin] pain. She’s going to need a bath tub of it…

There’s a tattoo history?

Lydia, oh Lydia, say, have you met Lydia?
Lydia the tattooed lady
She has eyes that men adore so
And a torso even more so
Lydia, oh Lydia, that encyclopedia
Lydia, the queen of tattoo
On her back is the Battle of Waterloo
Beside it the Wreck of the Hesperus, too
And proudly above waves the red, white and blue
You can learn a lot from Lydia

7 Likes

Not a single New School piece that has defined the 2000’s, or a tribal piece from the 1990’s? I see a lot of Traditional American.

1 Like

Frankly I’m glad she didn’t get stuck with a “tribal” piece. I came in to the video expecting that and feeling bad for her.

2 Likes

I think we are supposed to take away from this that out of the last 110 years of ink we got like four good decades.

4 Likes

Nor even a big ole jailhouse tattoo, like weev’s?

EVERYTHING has a history! Everything! There is nothing historians can’t historicize!

4 Likes

“Anthology of Historicizing: A Handbook”
by The Bevel

eta - Publish or Perish, amirite?

3 Likes

Came for the barbed wire armband and KoŃŹn logo, am disappoint.

(Not really, more like relieved for her, but yeah. These are all traditional except for the last one.)

3 Likes

Some nice work. I was a little surprised that the Sailor Jerry piece wasn’t nautical, and that overall, no pinup girl anywhere. But I guess that anyone could interpret a wide range of tattoos as having importance in any given decade.

Even the future can be written about in past tense, from the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Holy Baader-Meinhoff, Batman!

I just heard that song for the first time ever (playing on the local college station during the afternoon commute). Love it.

1 Like

Also missing: bad hanzi/kanji tats.

More here: http://hanzismatter.blogspot.ca

1 Like

I’ve always liked this version:

2 Likes

A racist tattoo I am assuming? Since it is weev.

My father used to sing it all the time when I was younger (probably still does). I don’t think I heard the Groucho version until a few years ago.

My father spent WWII in the Royal Engineers; there he learnt a song about a different lady, to a different tune, but I can only remember a few lines:

All up and down her spine
Are the King’s Own Guards in line
And all around her hips
A fleet of battleships
And where we could not see
Is the Royal Family…

1 Like

looks at feet sheepishly. yeah…
Actually, weev’s nazi tattoos are technically more sophisticated than jailhouse tats; though thematically they’re just as crude and obnoxious.