Watch: Adam Savage builds a model of the maze from The Shining

[Permalink]

1 Like

Spectacular! And such a worthy piece of film memorabilia to recreate.

1 Like

The deadline to submit your entry (was) January 31st. Oh, well.

I want Adam Savageā€™s face on my currency, god-dammit!

1 Like

Am I the only one who was disappointed that he didnā€™t end up with it being snow-covered with a guy with an axe wandering around inside it?

1 Like

In real life how do places with hedge mazes deal with guest that get lost in the mazeā€¦do they send someone in to walk the entire thing before closing?

EDIT: Should have googled first. Thereā€™s one hedge maze that has little call boxes scattered throughout the maze.

1 Like

The maze was easily the most disappointing part of a very disappointing movie. I was waiting though the whole, silly movie to see how Kubrick would bring to life the Overlookā€™s terrifying topiary creatures. Instead, he punted, and we got this lame hedge maze. Cause weā€™ve never seen that in a movie before, right?

Should have grown it with bonsai hedges.

2 Likes

As a novice Bonsai parent, I would love this.

I never really looked at it as the hedge maze replacing the topiary so much as the topiary being removed for time and money reasons.

Also, I do not agree that it was a disappointing movie. Iā€™d say it was a very good movie, and definitely better than the vast majority of horror movies Iā€™ve seen from the same time period. (Plus, [it even makes a great RomCom] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s40Q6ODSI8).)

Kubrick turned what was a psychological ghost story, into a slasher flick, and itā€™s a lesser movie for it. Personally, I preferred the '97 mini-series version. It pretty much got everything right.

And yet others would say the opposite. That he took a heavy handed King novel, in which the ending culminates in the house exploding ā€œwith evilā€, into an ambiguous psychological thriller, and that itā€™s a greater movie because for it.

3 Likes

The build was magnificent. Adam Savage, again, captivates in a way few makers do. I loved the way he was building it just to build it-- and then we learn that, oh yeah, his creation is going to replace the model in Kubrick museum.

And, how about that bracket?? How can a bracket be so exciting? It just is.

I loved every second of that. As a sculptor, fabricator and (former) art handler I also wanted to pat him on the back and say, ā€œForget it Adam. Itā€™s an art museum.ā€ Quality of art handling varies -a lot- depending on the institution and country. I once had to go to the packer with an artist I worked for after his retrospective returned from overseas to inspect the damage done in re-packing and shipping the work back to him and his collectors.

Oh man. Seven major ā€œassemblagesā€ treated like trash and some broken beyond repair. Not only that, but the insurers judged them unqualified for settlement because of ā€œinherent vice.ā€ The best intentions ultimately come down to trusting people you will never meet half a world away. They may be pissed at the boss that day or just suffer from a poor attitude. Your problem.

He was smart to make it all able to be disassembled. Repairs will be less visible.

(In the interest of full disclosure I have done my share of damage on bad days. Just in case any of you actually know who I am.)

If you think Kubrickā€™s version of The Shining was a ā€œslasher flickā€ youā€™re out of your mind. What kind of slasher movie has only one kill, and that in the last 15 minutes? Itā€™s a study of a manā€™s slow descent into madness, driven by the influence of isolation and a haunted hotel.

As for the '97 mini-series, I do agree that it was closer to the source material, and overall easier to understand, but thatā€™s a difference having double the runtime will make. Which one you like better depends on if you prefer the book-accuracy of the 1997 version, or the better directing, intense scenes, and deeper symbolism the Kubrick version had. (But then again, the 1997 miniseries tacked on that horribly cheesy feel-good ending, plus the sequel-bait, so I guess book accuracy isnā€™t all itā€™s cracked up to beā€¦)

2 Likes

The only issue I had was with the casting. Getting the Number One Super Guy to play Dick Hallorann robbed me of some of the creepiness. I just hate the way my brain works sometimes.

Iā€™;m disappointed no one has made a ā€˜flocking hellā€™ joke yet :frowning:

i actually just finished reading the shining a few days ago and now i kinda dislike the kubrick film. i read dr. sleep and it was a pretty good adventure, too. i would have loved to see topiary instead of the hedge maze.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.