Black bear breaks into "The Shining"-inspired hotel in Colorado while 300 guests are asleep

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/24/black-bear-breaks-into-the-s.html

4 Likes

Black bear breaks into “The Shining”-inspired hotel …

The Stanley Hotel, in Estes Park, is famous for inspiring Stephen King’s The Shining.

Wait, so did the hotel inspire The Shining, or was it inspired by it?

13 Likes

Came here to say the same. The former is misleading, but the latter is true as far as I understand.

8 Likes

I was there once. When it was time to leave, the front of the hotel was suddenly dominated by large numbers of elk.

And yes, they’re very enthusiastic about reminding you that it inspired The Shining. They filmed the later TV-movie version there (the version no one but Stephen King particularly cares to remember).

8 Likes

Did he use an axe?

johnny-bear

25 Likes
the person at the front desk silently taped the bear.

And that’s why you should have a roll of Duck Tape with you at all times. Apparently if you are quiet enough you can sneak up on a bear and restrain it!

12 Likes

Heereee’s Yogi!

12 Likes

19 Likes

This seems like more something you’d see on “Twin Peaks”.

Except in that show, the bear would have some speaking lines I guess.

10 Likes

All work and no play makes Yogi a dull bear. All work and no play makes Yogi a dull bear. All work and no play makes Yogi a dull bear. All work and no play makes Yogi a dull bear. All work and no play makes Yogi a dull bear. All work and no play makes Yogi a dull bear. All work and no play makes Yogi a dull bear.

20 Likes

I guess he was ‘smarter than the average bear…’

10 Likes

As all Oregonians know, Timberline lodge at Mt Hood was used for the exterior shots in ‘The Shining’

6 Likes

I’ll always laugh at my first sighting of the Stanley Hotel…viewed through the arches of the McDonald’s that’s located two blocks in front of it. Ooooh spooky!!!

4 Likes

The band Leftover Salmon hosts a Shining inspired weekend of concerts there each March. They have big wheel races, costume contests, etc. When I went they had everyone dress in 1920s garb for a photo a la the one Jack Nicholson ends up in in the bar.

And yeah, a lot of Elk poop on the grounds.

3 Likes

We visited there once as well. The fact that a gas station is within easy walking distance undermines the feeling of isolation generated by the book (yes, I know it was “inspired”; it’s still amusing to me to think of Danny running off and getting nachos while his dad is lost in the hedge maze.)

4 Likes

Only in the dream sequence where he dances with that dwarf.

1 Like

Raeb kcalb!
Raeb kcalb!
Raeb kcalb!
Raeb kcalb!
Raeb kcalb!
Raeb kcalb!

23 Likes

Kudos on the night clerk for staying cool. Black bears are usually harmless unless provoked.

I got to stay there as a kid. Pretty cool hotel really. But not as neat as my favorite book-inspiring hotel, the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.

Maybe he (or she) is a King fan?

5 Likes

“I bet you don’t get many bears in here”
“Well, not at these prices”

6 Likes

Is there an old black and white photo of a bear on the wall, taken on new years eve, 1922?

5 Likes