Watch an elephant herd cross the road, then thank drivers for waiting

Originally published at: Watch an elephant herd cross the road, then thank drivers for waiting | Boing Boing

10 Likes

That’s a big herd!

I once met a young bull elephant on a lonely road in Western Uganda near the border with Congo. He wasn’t in musth so he wasn’t especially aggressive or unpredictable, but he was out to show his strength and demonstrate who was in charge. He just stood there in the middle of the road, staring us down, flapping his ears and doing little fake charges before swaggering back to his starting point. We must have been watching each other for about 20 minutes before he decided to go explore the woods off to the side. An amazing, exciting experience.

Elephants are REALLY big - and they know it.

24 Likes

Hiyo Dumbo! Away!

4 Likes

This made me smile and laugh like nothing else in a long time.
No life? Perhaps.

7 Likes

Delightful, indeed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

How do you spell anthropomorphization?

Dunno - but I’d prefer a trunkated version of that word.

4 Likes

I think that word gets a bit of a bum rap. We are not as different from other beings on this planet as we like to think.

3 Likes

That signal at the end could just have easily been “clear off!”

2 Likes

Agreed. A similar gesture from a human, say a raised hand, could also be interpreted either way.

In Iraq a raised outstretched hand meant “come toward me”. Not a great thing when the US military manning checkpoints assumed that everyone understood it to mean “STOP”

1 Like

All that’s been said before is true, maybe they’re just thanking the cars for not FAFO?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.