Watch an ultra-high-end automated cappuccino maker brew up a latte

Rinse the milk system!

That’s the most common one with ours. Apparently there are options for how frequently that message is displayed, but the Powers That Be have ours set to “after every time someone uses milk.” Which means people just ignore the message all day and are drinking who knows what scary stuff with their lattes.

(I usually just use the “coffee” setting because it delivers my precious caffeine faster and without calories.)

2 Likes

That’s the problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, before the Revolution, there was a local company making all sorts of electronics. There was a shop where you could buy schematics and service manuals to all their consumer goods, without any NDAs and exclusivity and other crap. And we’re now told that it was the time without freedoms and generally bad.

1 Like

Every six months I replace the gasket on my group head. That kind of maintenance I have no problem with. But opening the machine up to replace a relay (or solenoid) is beyond what I would consider end-user maintenance and I really have no interest in doing that. Besides, I like to change things up once in a while and frankly I’m bored with my current equipment.

So I’m pretty sure I’m going to make the jump to super auto. The one I’m looking at now costs a little more than my current gear, but if I can make it last 6 years, it will work out to about $1.50 / day which is still pretty affordable. Who knows - I might end up unhappy with the quality loss and end up in the middle with something like you suggest. For now though, I want something easier.

Well, obviously everyone has their own comfort level with respect to this kind of thing. Most semiauto espresso machines like yours are pretty simple inside, components are accessible and swap in and out with a screwdriver or wrench. I would say an order of magnitude easier than changing the oil on a car, with the added bonus that if you do something wrong you probably won’t kill yourself.

Superautos have more moving parts; 6 years without problem is ambitious. However, you should be able to sell your current machine for enough to pay for several service calls on the new machine.

I fix espresso machines for a living. I can tell you that it is extremely risky to get into a high dollar machine for home use if you aren’t in a large city. Unless you are willing to pay the $150 to $200 just for a tech to show up, you’re going to have to take it in. When I was in Seattle, there were home espresso machine repair shops, but there’s nothing like that where I am now. More power to you if you can order the parts and fix it yourself.

I’m sorry, but I’m a bit confused. One minute we’re talking about coffee, and the next about Starbucks.

Seriously, Starbucks is closing down rapidly in Australia due to the crap they pretend is coffee. These machines sell like gangbusters here due to the consistent high quality they produce. And I don’t include coffee pod machines in that description.

2 Likes

[quote=“Valuepack, post:45, topic:72492, full:true”]
I fix espresso machines for a living. I can tell you that it is extremely risky to get into a high dollar machine for home use if you aren’t in a large city.[/quote]
Of course, that’s exactly where you need a good machine at home.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.