Watch an ultra-high-end automated cappuccino maker brew up a latte

Optotriac with a SCR (built that, works neatly; possibly use the one with zero-crossing detection for lower EMI, for resistive load). SSR. Conventional relay. If you can light up an optocoupler, you can control a megawatt of load.

Cellphone charger for Arduino/Raspi. Whatever gives enough power for the motors. Power can be possibly tapped from the original power supply circuit.

Not that big. Maybe even could fit into the coffee maker itself, or piggybacked on its back plate from the outside.

Commodity parts. The same ones used in multiple devices so they can be salvaged from something less important if needed. Or stock up from China; a hundred of those common little transistors can be got for $2-5. (Or just packrat all electronic scrap and harvest parts as needed. Which inevitably ends up with having everything except that one part you need.)

given the cost of spare parts and the frequency in which electronics fails, why isn’t there a set of generic raspi-based cores for things from coffee makers to dishwashers to washing machines? They are usually just some rudimentary PLCs anyway

2 Likes

I’d definitely stick with a non-super-auto type of machine (i.e. double boiler or heat exchanger plus quality burr grinder) for a number of reasons:

1. Durability/reliability; machines like the Pasquini Livia 90 or any of the QuickMill machines are heavy, built for 24/7 operation for years. When there are parts to replace, you’re good for another 5 years at a shot, in my opinion. I’ve had a machine running for 15 years with like $200 of service on it.

2. Should anything go wrong with either the grinder or espresso machine, you can replace just that unit.

3. Despite the “push button” simplicity, it’s obvious from the video (the color of the shot, the odd layering of milk-then-espresso) that the resulting drink will never get close to the quality you’d be able to pull from a more manual setup and a little practice.

4. And my biggest concern with machines like that: coffee (and milk) can both be pretty variable/finicky, and definitely need a hands-on approach while making the drink to ensure the grind matches the bean for example, or stopping the milk-texturing when you see/feel that it is just right.

I hope I don’t come across as a coffee snob, but I get steamed (pun) about these high-ish price machines at places like Williams Sonoma and others that promise much but can’t shake a stick at setups that are more manual, might cost slightly more initially, but can last forever and make infinitely better drinks.

1 Like

i gotta say something:

I love the nerdishness that comes out at BB about things like coffee :smiley:

Love it, love it, love it. Absolutely makes my day.

(french press, cheap burr grinder, liquid milk in coffee is an abomination (foam is okay), or gtfo)

4 Likes

What do we want?
Coffee.
When do we want it?
I’ll fucken cut you.

3 Likes

Engineers take coffee seriously. We have a Jura Impressa J9 at work, and it’s a lovely thing. It costs about 3.5 times what this one does.

We haven’t used our awful Bunn pourover machine since we got it, and sales have declined a bit at the Starbucks downstairs. (Unfortunately we still have a Keurig for the one decaf-drinking infidel who works here.)

1 Like

Love “The System”'s coffee themed toons

2 Likes

What’s your favorite flavor?

6 Likes

6 Likes

you have captured my inner dichotomy in a nutshell :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope I don’t come across as a coffee snob

I wouldn’t say you are a coffee snob, but you definitely have stronger feelings about coffee quality than I do.

Most of the reasons you list really don’t resonate with me. Like most people that buy a super-auto, I’m willing to trade some quality and reliability for convenience. I do keep my gear super-clean though and that’s pretty much the only thing holding me back at this point. I want to decide soon because the tubing inside my 5 year old machine is hardening I don’t want to deal with a huge mess and subsequent downtime when something splits.

Like I said, a $2000 setup that lasts 5 years works out to around $1 / day and that’s good enough for me.

7 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing, @Krapmeister. You’ve contributed greatly to our community with your post, and we sincerely hope that you will continue to be a source of insight.

In the old days, you would have pulled out the schematics that came with it, your multimeter and a soldering iron, found the problem and fixed it.

Remember when stuff used to come with schematics?

2 Likes

Sadly I do not.

My old office used to have an espresso machine - I think it might actually have been a Jura. It was referred to as “The Princess” because it was always making demands.
Refill the Water
Refill the coffee beans
run a cleaning cycle

it was actually remarkably sturdy for how much use it got, and it was unambiguously the best automatic machine coffee I’ve ever had

1 Like

Good old times

gods, I feel old

1 Like

[quote=“Chesterfield, post:20, topic:72492, full:true”]
There’s no way parts like that could last that long and I think I want to replace my machine before it dies a messy death.[/quote]
Well, it wasn’t 13 years without regular maintenance. Gaskets and o-rings have been replaced, as well as the occasional solenoid.

The big jumps in convenience with this machine over its predecessor were (a) plumbing the machine in (a much bigger convenience than I had ever imagined), (b) the auto dosing means I can push a button and walk away while making a shot if I like, and © the ability to leave it on all the time (when not in use it drops into a lower-power ‘eco’ mode). You might find that just moving from your semi-auto to an auto (as opposed to a superauto) gains you all the extra convenience you need, especially if you can plumb in.

Shame. They were good times.

You’re only as old as you feel.

1 Like