Watch and rewatch this optical illusion to figure out how it's done

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/30/watch-and-rewatch-this-optical.html

1 Like

What I don’t see on the glasses is a reflection of the bottle being poured, the wine, or the hand picking up the wine.

4 Likes

All I know is that skyline looks very familiar.

1 Like

OK, so that’s how it’s done, right? This doesn’t seem like a practical effect. I don’t think rewatching it will change that…

18 Likes

Yeah VFX is all post production, not practical effects in front of the camera (like I used to do).
Still I found it entertaining no matter what the tools used.

Sure, it’s a fun video but the headline is super misleading! This isn’t an “optical illusion” (and it only takes one watch to figure that out!)

35 Likes

GoT THIS

4 Likes

it’s not an optical illusion if you use vfx to remove the wine glass. it’s just vfx

25 Likes

Yeah that is a lost art. I got the opportunity back in the day to work with a crew from Boss Films. We built a 275 foot elevated motion control dolly shot for the Plate in a show. That was cool.

2 Likes

“figure out how it’s done”

With a computer. There, that was easy.

26 Likes

This reminds me of another one of my favorite optical illusions:

I keep watching it over and over but I just can’t wrap my head around the amazing practical trickery that was required.

11 Likes
3 Likes

Drink the first and second glasses of wine, and turn them over.
Then have someone ELSE pour you a third glass. The glass will disappear!

It’s so obvious once you know the secret.

1 Like

2 shots.

Plate shot (background video) is wall with glasses being placed. Wine may have been poured here, with it dumping in front of the wall and onto the ground.

Keyed shot is on chroma with bottle and a 3rd glass (lit with no reflection, maybe a black base layer?).

Shot is keyed, and the glass is matted or rotoscoped or rotobrushed out. Right about 9 seconds you can see a VERY slight glitch of the mask/roto as the bottle passes in front of the right most glass.

5 Likes

Yep, not only is it VFX, it’s quick’n’dirty VFX.

Which is fine for a cute little quickie like this.

But it’s not an “amazing optical illusion”, and there’s nothing hard to “figure out.”

Doesn’t make it any less entertaining, but let’s not get carried away.

5 Likes

If it’s just a (albeit cool) VFX, how is it an optical illusion?

3 Likes

It’s done with video editing, duh! It’s not an optical illusion.

1 Like

OMG LOOK AT THIS OPTICAL ILLUSION OF A GIANT CHICKEN ATTACKING PEOPLE.

3 Likes

Wait, wine is involved?

cerseimorewine

4 Likes

“Traditional” magic – illusions – really started zooming downhill when a certain David Copperfield TV routine involved running a video backwards (as if no one would notice). The obviously canned audience “Ooooooooooo!!!” only greased the ugly slope.

2 Likes