Watch Animal from The Muppets play drums with My Morning Jacket

Originally published at: Watch Animal from The Muppets play drums with My Morning Jacket | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Apparently folk music has changed a lot.

4 Likes

I’d say that’s been true since Dylan went electric… or we can look at the category of folk as more than just a easily definable (by the industry) genre and more an approach to music (embracing authenticity and truth telling in one’s songwriting). Joey Shithead from DOA once told Pete Seeger (I think it was) that he saw a direct connection between the folk music Seeger made and the sort of music that DOA was making. If you take it on pure “genre” as the industry defines it - then that comparison makes no sense. But if you look at the topics that many punks embrace (more politically oriented punk bands, say) in their songs, there is a lot more overlap there than people might realize. Telling a story that has truth to it, and reveals peoples lives as they live it.

6 Likes

OMG, this is amazing.
Also, really looking forward to seeing them later in Aug.
They put on a killer live show.

4 Likes
8 Likes

The Mayhem?

2 Likes
6 Likes

In before the Discovery SuperAgers show. With Muppets.

2 Likes

MMJ.
Been a few years since they’ve been through here.

2 Likes

Personal rule of thumb:

Short of conviction for particularly heinous crimes, anyone who acts with Muppets is automatically cool.

5 Likes

(cough)Chris Langham(cough)

2 Likes

See also

1 Like

Not just punk, either. Seeing as there’s been at least 3 (maybe coming up for 4?) generations of kids listening to happy hardcore now, I like to argue that it’s practically folk music. I mean, I have nothing to back up my thesis, but it… provokes discussions :laughing:

2 Likes

I mean, yeah… absolutely something like happy hardcore could also be considered folkish… Is it embraced in a social way by people and is the meaning shaped by the people who make and consume the music? I say yeah, then.

2 Likes

One of the highlights of the Muppet Mayhem series, Baby Animal

giphy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.