Watch as a sword fighter is quickly defeated

I was actually thinking about real life, as fighting in space develops as a real thing. That if you’re going to fight in space, up until “shields up” is an actual thing, a bag of gravel will do ya!

6 Likes

Or it could be used in shows like “The Expanse”. But releasing it around our planet would create a disaster area. Like a space minefield.

5 Likes

That gravel is going to keep going at the same velocity as your ship, though. Unless you accelerate away from it and the ship chasing you follows suit, you’re just going to have that gravel hanging around in your proximity.

Whatever you do, don’t decelerate!

7 Likes

Good point about the acceleration. Dammit Jim, I’m a history major, not a physicist.

12 Likes

In Uplift Wars, David Brin has one of the Terran ships (crewed by uplifted dolphins) eject a large chunk of their water supply in the path of a pursuing vessel, which froze pretty much instantly. Shields or no shields, that’s gonna hurt.

9 Likes

Conveniently for gravel based defense systems, constant acceleration might be a feasible method of space travel (Thats what they do in the Expanse to generate gravity. Accelerate until the halfway point then decelerate until you get there.).

In that case you just need to be far enough in front of the opponent, and on the first half of your trip, but not too close to the half way point. So maybe not ideal, but there is a window where it could work :wink:

6 Likes

Are you suggesting constant acceleration by ejecting rocks out the back of your ship? Flintstones do space travel!

9 Likes

flintstones GIF

9 Likes

Likewise, in the second half, the chasing ship can turn the tables and toss gravel at you from behind.

No, Freddy Drive technology involves constant oversized-foot based acceleration.

Freedom Feet GIF by Hysteria

8 Likes

Meanwhile, in the Traveller universe

4 Likes

True, but heels are worse :wink::

8 Likes
8 Likes

Por qué no te callas!

2 Likes

In real life gravel has an incredible weight that you have to lift into orbit. Until we have asteroid mining a laser which works off the craft’s solar cells or nuclear reactor is much more efficient and reusable.

4 Likes

In “Madness Has Its Place”, by Larry Niven, a group of rogue individuals set a series of boobtraps booby traps around the asteroid belt. It would teach these pesky aliens a lesson.

2 Likes

Unless someone comes up with a reactionless drive mechanism of some sort all your options for acceleration are uncomfortably close to just being slight engineering optimizations of exactly that.

3 Likes

Gotta nip those aliens in the bud. The weapons could be on the antipode and adipose sides.

4 Likes

I guess if you are already up, and can cannibalize a handy asteroid for reaction mass, it could work. The exhaust would be rough, though!

4 Likes

I have a feeling Birkenstock will soon be heard from. Footwear weaponization is not in their mission statement.

4 Likes

Oh. I have to correct my post, or the Standards and Practice Department will send me an email anytime.

7 Likes