Watch: Badger nonchalantly trots behind dogs who are warning it to stay away

Originally published at: Watch: Badger nonchalantly trots behind dogs who are warning it to stay away | Boing Boing

13 Likes

One might even say he was irritating, bothering, disturbing, exasperating, provoking, ribbing, taunting and vexing them.

I wonder if there’s a more concise way of saying that.

32 Likes
21 Likes

Good thing it was a sugar-free badger. I understand the ones with added honey can be quite a bit more difficult to deal with.

26 Likes

Annoying. Hectoring. Hounding, even.

19 Likes

Come on, clearly the badger’s just trying to invite them all to tea!

38 Likes

10 Likes

Don’t mess with badgers. They’re tough customers.

I love this video. Little guy was owning the place.

19 Likes

"Oh hey, there’s some dogs over here that I haven’t chased off yet … " but not really aggressive about it.

15 Likes

Love it! Badgers are such wonderful creatures. I ran into one in the mountains a couple of years ago. We had pulled over to check out a coyote and my daughter kept trying to tell us it was coming up behind us (it wasn’t). She was watching a badger coming down the rode. I got out and it trotted right on by without paying any attention to me at all.

14 Likes

“Hello, fellow dogs…”

Maybe it figured out that those weird hairless bipeds just hand out food to animals that follow them around all the time. Who wouldn’t want in on that gig?

9 Likes

Honey Badger don’t give a s***.

15 Likes

We don’t have to show you no stinkin’ badgers!

11 Likes

They’re not even the same genus. Basically English colonists saw Taxidea taxus (the American Badger) and called it a “badger” like the small and generally non-aggressive Meles meles back home. Other English colonists saw the ratel (Mellivora capensis) in Africa and Asia and called it a “honey badger”, also somewhat absurdly.

14 Likes

I blame Bill Badger for this confusion.

4 Likes

“Why doesn’t anyone want to be my friend. Everyone always runs away!”

6 Likes

Oh, Honey Badgers give a shit, alright; they give the shits to everyone.

8 Likes

I was just thinking earlier about all the confusion caused by the re-use of common names for plants and animals. It happens all the time, even for plants and animals that were native to Europe - I just imagine Europeans traveling around the globe and pointing to unfamiliar animals and declaring, “That’s… hmm… a badger. And that. And that.” Kind of surprised skunks didn’t get called badgers, too. (The way all sorts of animals in German ended up being something-bears or something-pigs: it’s a “stink-badger”!)

10 Likes

though it may be up to no good, those dogs really should want to make friends with the badger

4 Likes

Smartest person in the video was the woman towards the end, who yelled, “Put your dog on a leash! There’s a badger!”

4 Likes